Is my existing feed suitable for this:

To my knowledge there isn't an installation method that can't supply 32A on 6mm,
The general convention seems to be that no installation method reduces CCC by more than 50% in comparison with Method C ('clipped direct') and that Method 103 (surrounded by thermal insulation in a stud wall) reduces it to exactly 50% of the figure for Method C.

Method C 6mm² has a CCC of 47A (per BS7671 Table 4D5), hence only 23.5A for Method 103 - and also only 27A for Method 101.

Of course, I think it's possible that those figures could be reduced further by other 'de-rating factors'(such as 'grouping' etc.)

Kind Regards,John

Sponsored Links
What is a 'main'?
Maybe it's related to the "mains electricity" which most people (sometimes including 'us') talk about?

People also talk about "mains gas" and "mains water", so maybe it's a generic reference to 'distributed supplies? Perhaps a time to look at dictionaries?

Maybe it's related to the "mains electricity" which most people (sometimes including 'us') talk about?
Yes, it obviously is.
People also talk about "mains gas" and "mains water", so maybe it's a generic reference to 'distributed supplies? Perhaps a time to look at dictionaries?
Maybe it is - but then it (main) would not apply to only certain circuits in a house.

Sponsored Links
Maybe it is - but then it (main) would not apply to only certain circuits in a house.
Having had a very quick look, it seems that it might (per dictionary definition) only apply to distribution pipes/cables upstream of a house/installation. The Cambridge dictionary says:
main, n: a large pipe that carries water or gas , or a wire carrying electricity from one place to another, to which a house can be connected.

Mottie wants to know if a 2.5mm main will safely serve two washers and a kettle.

Mottie wants to know if a 2.5mm main will safely serve two washers and a kettle.
And two ovens if all were running at maximum power. 2.5mm starting from one 32a breaker and going out in a loop to those items and sockets and ending back at the same breaker. I don’t care what it’s called.

And two ovens if all were running at maximum power. 2.5mm starting from one 32a breaker and going out in a loop to those items and sockets and ending back at the same breaker. I don’t care what it’s called.
I don't care what it's called,either (although some seem to), but your descripting confirms that it is a ring - which is what matters, since otherwise 2.5mm² cable (on a 32A breaker) would not have been acceptable in the first place.

As far as I can make out,you have a total potential load of 14.35 kW (7.4 + 3.35 + 3.6) which, in the 'worst case' (powers quotes at 230V) would correspond to a maximum load of about 62.3A (less if, as very likely, powers are quoted for 240V).

Although you talk of all there loads 'running at maximum power', the concept of 'diversity' recognises that individual elements, hob 'plates' etc will not be 'on' simultaneously for significant periods of time, since they are all cycling on and off under thermostatic control. A maximum 'total' demand of 62.3 A worth of cooking appliance is therefore regarded ('after application of diversity') as representing a ('time averaged') load of about 25.7 A.

That would therefore be OK with a 32A breaker and, assuming the (ring) circuit has been designed correctly, OK with that circuit using 2.5mm² cable However, that would leave very little headway for anything else to be fed from the circuit.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards, John

BTW, I’m only asking out of curiosity - when it actually comes to be done, I’ll get a mate of mine to do it, he owes me more than a few favours - he's a semi-retired sparks but he's on holiday at the moment so I didn’t want to pester him with questions. I assume the works will need certification anyway, won’t it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back