Is my light possessed by sinister forces?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So...... two pendant lights in my bedroom and two switches. I replaced the switches and am pretty sure I put the wires in the same place (I took a photo before I changed them and referred to it but have deleted it now so can't check). Someone else changed the ceiling roses, but I presume the switched live was already identified. I made a diagram, below, and the light in question has a green snowman on it (no ghost shape to hand).

One light (rose 1) works fine and both the switches turn it on/off.

The other light (rose 2) is on all the time, even when the wires are out of the switches.

As is clear from my post I don't know what I'm talking about and I do intend to get a qualified person in rather than swapping wires around ........ but it's driving me nuts and I've been staring at my ceiling pretty much all day and drawing pictures trying to unpick the logic in theory. Where is the light getting its power? How did I switch it on and off before?

I'd be very grateful if someone could suggest where the errors are. Or an exorcist.

Thank you!!!

wiring.jpg

Sponsored Links
Either the left red or right red in 'rose 1' should be in with the black sleeved wire. You can find out which one needs moving if you have a multimeter.

This is why I look but don't touch - I thought only the switched live went in with the lamp live. I want to ask how come this wouldn't make it live all the time, but think I should draw it out first.

Sponsored Links
Only one of the reds is live all the time.

The other reds are only live if and when connected to it.

One of the cables in rose 1 goes to rose 2 to provide the neutral and switched live to make that light work.
Your "someone else" did not make note of where the wires went to and has put the red that goles to rose 2 into the permanent live (loop) terminal.

So in you case, there should be a red in the same terminal as the black with a red sleeve (ie the switched live.) All you have to do is figure out which red it is that needs to be moved!

There are two methods
1. Use a test meter to find out which one it is
2. Move the reds across one at a time, until you find the correct one. (Of course using trial and error is not good practise!)

Always remembering to disconnect the power before doing any electrical work.

Not much help to you I know (but it might help another time) the position of the connections vary between switches you need to check the markings L1 L2 C etc to ensure it is wired the same, just putting the wires in the same position on the switch plate will not always work.:(

Not much help to you I know (but it might help another time) the position of the connections vary between switches you need to check the markings L1 L2 C etc to ensure it is wired the same, just putting the wires in the same position on the switch plate will not always work.:(
That is not the cause of this problem.
OP, your switches appear to be wired correctly. Don't change anything there!

I replaced the switches and am pretty sure I put the wires in the same place
you need to check the markings L1 L2 C etc to ensure it is wired the same, just putting the wires in the same position
True that, I almost made exactly the same comment but also was worried it would confuse matters! As the OP seemed to have got it clear about the switches.

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I understand the logic now and own a multimeter so should be good. And nice to know my switches pass muster!

Now, if I can only get a handle on the projectile vomiting every time I enter the room, job'll be a good 'um!

xx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back