Is my plumber trying to kill me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I expressed concern to my plumber about the noise that the pump he has newly installed might make, given that it is on a wooden floor (upstairs). The solution was two-fold:
1. He unscrewed it from the floor(!) and replaced the little rubber feet that come with it.
2. The picture tells the story. Is this a good idea?

DSC02897.JPG

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I am probably being a little over dramatic but I wondered if wrapping up a shower pump which, to quote the manufacturer, 'can become hot under normal operating conditions', in insulation might be a bit of a fire risk. Certainly won't make it any quieter (until it burns out that is).

Go to your local market and buy a slab of foam and use that as a cushion underneath the pump. That is what I have done before to quieten them down.

Thanks Dilalio I was going to get a Salamander pump mat (about £25), do you know if these are any better than ordinary foam rubber?
And just for the record, Stuart Turner says in its instructions 'The enclosure should have a minimum clearance of 80 mm (3”) between the pump and housing on all sides'.

yes take the lagging off it it needs air to help keep it cool

As you have all noticed, not the most professional of jobs but thank you for your input. The lagging will be removed, and a mat of some sort put in place if it is too noisy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back