Is my shed too high ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Advice needed please,

Basically I'm building a wooden shed/garage in my back garden, I don't need planning permission as it meets all the criteria.

It's 9 feet high to the peek of the apex, so sticks up 3 feet above the neighbours fence ( they back on to me ) I saw her watching from her window and she didn't look pleased.

The question is, can she complain ? and might I have to take the shed down ?

Thanks, Dave

Sponsored Links
You say it meets all the criteria, there are restrictions on height but if it meets these it is OK.

But from memory it's 4.0m for a pitched roof and must be 5m from the house assuming you are not in a conservation area.

Jason

not because of the hight as its somthing like 3m max for flat roof and 4m for slopping roof or there abouts as you less than 3m thats coverd any possible mistake i may have made :LOL: ;)

theres all sorts of other things they can check you on like distance from boundarys ect[1m i think]

my sheds about 9ft tall by 10ft wide by 12ft deep
workshop001.jpg

Thanks for the replies,

Its about a foot away from the neighbours fence, would that change things ?

Sponsored Links
ok this is an extract from the thread on building my shed as diy not dont let posts from a s k t h e t r a d e s

"ok an update

checked with the council [reigate and banstead]about planning permision
is the shed less than x m from the public highway
is it nearer to the road than the house
is it more than25% total area
is it less than 3m high or 4m with a pitched roof
answerd all above with no planing permision not required

as an add on had i talked to the neibours of course i have "

dont think youll have piece off mind till you check with your planning dept phone them up and ask annon of course :D ;)

If she was stood there with her rollers in, hands on the hips, then she most probably will complain to all and sundry in the town except for your good self. Most neighbours like this have nothing better to do with themselves.
She's probably giving her poor husband earache over it now "Cyril, get round there now and tell him!".

Tell her to put a tree up to cover the apex, or better still, to find something better to do with herself! :evil:

DaveyD said:
So does that mean they can complain ?

as i said you need to check with your council as the regs are often different or even interpritated differently dependant on the council

i also believe if you stress the "garage" bit youll get more understanding as they want vehicles off the roads

Thanks 'Big-all' your info is helpful and appreciated

and Thanks to 'AndersonC' for a very amusing (and probably true) comment.

I'm thinking about putting up some trellis and growing some rapid grow climbing plants (if there are such a thing ?)
Regards
Dave

DaveyD said:
I'm thinking about putting up some trellis and growing some rapid grow climbing plants (if there are such a thing ?)
Russian Vine which is also a nickname for "mile a minute"

4m high for a pitch roof or 3m for a flat roof, 5m from the edge of your furthest building including conservatorie etc and doesn't take up more than 50% of your garden.

This one is a grey area depending on your local BCO, the outbuilding should be 1m away from the fence unless it's fireproof. I have put my summerhouse right up to the neighbour fence panel using pre-slab concrete panel at the back to get over the problem. Normally BCO not too bothered about this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back