Is my vertical radiator the wrong way round

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had this vertical radiator professionally installed but they were not sure if they had fitted with diverter on correct side! (note flow is right and return is left) . Radiator is really slow to heat but does get there eventually . Does that sticker indicate flow direction or point to the diverter on other side ? This is a k rad aspen double . I think it needs flipping.

IMG_3863.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Direction I'd say is/should be from left to right, if you shut one valve and let the rad cool down for a ~ hour, then reopen it (boiler firing), if the first two columns (left) heat up first, the hot water will then start heating the remaining columns from the top down, then installed correctly, if the other 7 start warming up slowly first then installed incorrectly IMO.

Sponsored Links
Direction I'd say is/should be from left to right, if you shut one valve and let the rad cool down for a ~ hour, then reopen it (boiler firing), if the first two columns (left) heat up first, the hot water will then start heating the remaining columns from the top down, then installed correctly, if the other 7 start warming up slowly first then installed incorrectly IMO.
Thanks - I’m pretty sure two bars to the centre partially heated up first . I’m not a plumber but I would not have installed this way just by logic of the arrow! This was installed by a local established company so is frustrating . Thankfully the rad needs to come off for full replastering anyone in couple of weeks time

Last edited:
When it is removed, it should/might be possible to stick a bit of stiff wire in the bottom manifold which should only move in 2 columns or so before hitting the diverter.

When it is removed, it should/might be possible to stick a bit of stiff wire in the bottom manifold which should only move in 2 columns or so before hitting the diverter.
This rad can be hung on either side , so is it not a case of just flipping over ?.

This rad can be hung on either side , so is it not a case of just flipping over ?.

Yes but at the same time I'd be swapping the TRV and locksheild round.

Years back the TRV had to be on the flow. I still do this if it as a matter of practice taking in other considerations. However I do believe some TRV's still work in this way. Look to see if this one has an arrow ➡️ . It mit indicate both ways.

I think may @jurassic sparkk was implying you hired a pushfit plumber.

Yes but at the same time I'd be swapping the TRV and locksheild round.

Years back the TRV had to be on the flow. I still do this if it as a matter of practice taking in other considerations. However I do believe some TRV's still work in this way. Look to see if this one has an arrow ➡️ . It mit indicate both ways.

I think may @jurassic sparkk was implying you hired a pushfit plumber.
I have allways installed mine horizontally, on the return, as it gives, IMO, a more representative air/room temperature, it also didn't matter in the old uni directional days because the flow is still from under the valve seat.

I agree with the statements above, plastic piping looks horrible, and either the radiator or the valves are the wrong way around.

I think it needs flipping.
I think it needs replaced with something that will actually heat the space unless it's a small room or there's lots of them ;)

Alternatively, if the flow is on the right and it's a double column then it needs taken off and turned around to work properly.

Thanks for responses in flow direction, on testing this morning they do seem to heat up evening within 20 minutes but I may get the installer to check anyway and rads need to come off wall anyway for plastering . We have plastic pipes going to reds in other rooms (granted not veritical) and imo look ok although these do looks slightly worse (if I can get a trim that runs straight I would probably be ok with this) but my main concern for the moment is whether rad is orientated correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back