Is My Wall Going to Collapse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on what appears to be some shoddy building in my Kitchen by the previous owners of my ground floor flat.

a couple of weeks ago i started to rip the old kitchen out, I wanted to get the walls down to the bare brickwork so that it can be dry lined, however when I pulled all the render off around the doorway which leads into the bathroom I noticed the joist which is holding up the bricks above the door is not set into the brickwork, instead it seems to be resting on the render, I am really worried that this is unsafe.

I have been upstairs to see the neighbours layout above the wall and it appears that their doorway corresponds with mine so it does not appear to be a supporting wall, however this wall is double skinned and there are at least ten courses of brickwork over this joist! is it safe?

Here are a couple of photos

Sponsored Links
cant really see too much from those photos but i wouldnt panic about the wall falling down.however,before dry walling you may wanna get a new lintel installed in place of the timber and give it 150mm bearing each end.even if you remove the timber the worst that will happen is an odd brick drop out if the joists arent up to scratch.

cant really see too much from those photos but i wouldnt panic about the wall falling down.however,before dry walling you may wanna get a new lintel installed in place of the timber and give it 150mm bearing each end.even if you remove the timber the worst that will happen is an odd brick drop out if the joists arent up to scratch.

Thank you for the swift reply mate, if i need to replace the timber joist which i probably will do out of peace of mind, will i need to use acro's even if its not a supporting wall?

if it was me,id say no.worriers would probably say yes.

if you draw a line at 45 degrees from each end of your opening span(150mm wider each side than your opening)to a point to the centre of the opening,thats technically the most of the brickwork that could drop out.if the joints are tight this is very very very unlikely.only normally happens in loose old lime mortar.

Sponsored Links
if it was me,id say no.worriers would probably say yes.

if you draw a line at 45 degrees from each end of your opening span(150mm wider each side than your opening)to a point to the centre of the opening,thats technically the most of the brickwork that could drop out.if the joints are tight this is very very very unlikely.only normally happens in loose old lime mortar.

I'm a born worrier, thanks very much for the advice mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back