is polystireen(spelling!!!) good enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
boarded out loft now looking to board rafters , i understand i need some insulation up there , but i have found i am very allergic to fiber glass while boarding joists and not sure i want to buy that silver blanket stuff a staple gun and then batons which i can't screw in and will lose some head rood, so i was wondering...i have seen great big thick sheet of polstyreen in b&q , could i cut this and put it between the rafters????, would it have to be an absolute snug fit or a general fit

Sponsored Links
You can but must have a 50mm air-flow at the back from the roof tiles or roofing felts for ventilation. If you have ceiling joists insulation then no need to do the roof insulation, it's one or the other, not both otherwise you could have condensation problem. I have use peg-boards on my roof rafters to keep storage area clean from dusts and it's ventilated as well.

yes i have fiber glass under ther floor boards in the loft .....but i thought if i don't put anything in between the rafters won't it be really hot in the summer and cold in winter/night time etc

It's important that the roof area are well ventilated, the more you insulated the roof area, the more problem with moisture & condensation etc
What is it are you trying to do? Saving heat etc?

Sponsored Links
no i am trying to ,ake a quiet room just for the kids to do their homework , will be a desk , lighting , some shelves and storage but no radio , t.v etc , i might allow a comp up there in time not sure yet ....but that is why i am worried about temp....when just baording the floor when it was sunny it was dripping off me ....so i wopuld like to try and keep a normal constant temp for my "little angles"

Ahh right, I'm afraid this will be under building regulations for fire & safely, normally 4"x2" ceiling joists won't be strong enough and also must have some mean of fire escape if fire break out below bearing mind I have no idea of your layout of access to the loft.

stengthen joists with help of chippy mate(thats how i found out about allegic to fiber glass .....fitting velux window , do i need to have a rope ladder available ?????......and how do i regulate temp

Brazilnut said:
stengthen joists with help of chippy mate(thats how i found out about allegic to fiber glass .....fitting velux window , do i need to have a rope ladder available ?????......and how do i regulate temp
It's not a question of having a rope ladder available, you need to follow building regs regarding fire escape velux window which have to be fitted on the front of your property, 1.7m maximum and no more than 600mm high if I remember if this is correct, this is so the fireman can reach the velux window using the ladder. I don't know where the staircase (or loft ladder which may not be suitable) lead to from your loft as this is also under building regs. Best to pop down to your local BCO for their free advice as what you can do.

right will do....... go down on next day off.......think i might be getting out of my depth here with building reg,s ........ appreciate all the help and advice

It's not as bad as you think, a good investment on your property if it's done correctly. If the joists has been done then the velux window is the easiest bit just depending on the staircase, have you thought about slimline spiral staircase which doesn't take much room.

What i brought (still to assemble) is a Graz which is the danish version of the Karina, a half step stair thing that will twist into the space available, i didn't want the kids up and down ladders , my wifes best freind's "bloke" is a roofer in Manchester so they were going to come over fit the velux and have a few beers.......but we was going to put velux on back slope (as i believed if it doesn't alter outline of roof and is not overlooking anyone else you don't need planning permission)....so will have to get clarification on that as well as the stairs , fire escape, and if the polystireen will stop it overheating or going to cold ......this when thought of was going to be such a simple quick thing just for homework........i love diy!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back