is second hand boiler a good deal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Hope someone can help me with this dilema. We have recently renovated an old house that has eaten into our savings more than expected. The property is heated by a very old back boiler.

We were hoping to install a new Baxi 105he instant boiler but due to esculating costs of other repairs we now find we can no longer afford it :(

Our plumber has however offered us a second hand Worcester Bosch 28cdi. My question's are.

1 Is the worcester equivelent to the baxi ?
2 the house is quite big with 4 bedrooms, bathroom, 2 dining rooms, lounge, and utilty room. will the worcester be able to handle all this.

We were advised to get the baxi because it has quite a large output suitable for the size of the house.

The baxi worked out at £1500.00 fitted and he has offered us the worcester for £900.00 fitted.

All he can say about the boiler is that it was about 3 years old and was removed due to an upgrade by the previous owner. He has offered us a 6 months guarantee.

Is this a good deal.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
gordongas,

So are you saying we should find the additional money and stick with the baxi ?

Thanks.

Our plumber has however offered us a second hand Worcester Bosch 28cdi

Well he is a naughty boy then.

Ask him if it would comply with the current regulations.

Sponsored Links
I am not sure that you have got the point!

All boilers that are fitted now have to be condensing as they are more efficient, that law under the building regulations.

A non condensing boiler is almost unsaleable, except to mugs!

In any case a condensing boiler is about 15% more efficient and that can save about £150 per annum and quickly pay for itself with the rapidly increasing gas prices.

Tony Glazier

Agile,

Yes i got it :confused:

So is the Baxi 105he a good one then ? I have heard they are introducing a duel tec or something that is even more efficent ?

That name could be totally wrong by the way :oops:

There are quite a lot fitted but I have one that was taken out after only three years.

I would personally prefer one with a radial burner and stainless steel HE but its far more important that a boiler is fitted on a very clean system.

Tony

hi,
have found baxi combis to be very good; they now do a 'platinum' combi with a five year manufacturers warranty which is worth the peace of mind...

The majoraty of the Ch system has been replaced ( all rads are new ) although the pipes are original. The plumber has put some de scaler or something in that he has suggested leaving in untill we are ready to swop over.

He said he will then drain system fit new boiler fill and drain a couple of times, put a cleaner through it then re fill with sentinel ?

does that sound correct ?

no ide what you mean by radial burners or stainless HE ?

Theaky,

Heard about the Platinum range. Is it the same boiler but just with an extended warrenty ?

Hi,
i think the platinum is similar to the he-plus range but better built so they can offer the 5 year thing without going bust. but as i say, i found even the old range to be reliable. the refernce to stainless/radial from Agile means that the heat exchanger is stainless rather than aluminium, and that the burner is surrounded by the heat exchanger 'radially' rather than just sat underneath it.
both things are good to look for

I would say a 28cdi fitted for 900 is a snip to be honest...the regulations only applying to England and Wales of course.

The question one has to ask is, where does the WB come from? Is it a boiler that has been removed because someone was having endless problems with it? If that is the case, then your nightmares will begin when it is fitted in your house.

Only time you should consider a secondhand boiler is when you know the source or you know you fitter is on the ball and will be able to cure all faults on the secondhand boiler.

I can fix any problems on any boiler but then I dont install boilers!

Most people who install boilers have difficulty repairing them!

If you are in England then its against Building Regulations but then you will know that by now!

Tony

Must remember to trouser some Kryptonite if I ever meet Agile in real life

My Hero

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back