Is there a correct physical side of a rad to fit a TRV?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The TRV/Lockshield set we have bought is a Realm corner set (http://www.inspiredheating.co.uk/acatalog/REALM_CORNER_THERMOSTATIC_RADIATOR_VALVES.html) however. the castings are different from one side the the other.

If you look into one side of the casting there is a smallish hole (approx 5-6mm dia) toward the bottom of a what looks like a welded plate on the inside of the casting.

If you look into the other side of the casting, you see a half open welded plate (see photos). The castings as the same for both the lock shield and TRV.

Does this mean that the there is a specific physical side that the the value should go on (i.e. left or right)?

I am in the middle of changing a rad with this new TRV. I will need to re-pipe in any case as I want the pipe work coming through he wall at different positions to where it currently does. Currently the flow is on the right, although I have been inform that this should be on the left - is this correct or does it make any difference?

The pipework is currently tapped off of a radiator loop on the other side of the wall. If the flow needs to be on the left for this rad, then I will have to cross the pipes in the other room.

Many thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
trv's work better on the flow, even so called reversible ones. It doesnt matter which side flow is that gave me a little chuckle tbh :D

I'm glad it made you chuckle. I've been crying :cry:

You can often only believe what you are told and when I saw the fitting, it did make me wonder if there was anything to it.

Just for completeness then, why are the fittings made like this?

There should be one or two arrows on the side of the chrome body.

If just one arrow, this indicates the direction of flow (toward rad on the hot inlet, away from rad on the cooler outlet). The TRV has to be fitted so the arrow is pointing in the correct direction, which means that the control will be vertical at one end and horizontal at the other.

If two arrows at right angles, the TRV can be fitted, vertically or horizontally, on either end.

Sponsored Links
When choosing which side of a rad to put the reversible TRVs I see which end is naturally more accessible for the owner and which end of the TRV is better placed to monitor coolness in the room.

That would usually be the end towards an outside wall for example.

And not behind the sofa or computer desk!

Tony

Many thank. The rad in this instance in in a hallway, and the house is a terrace, so the rad is essentially slap bang in the middle of the house, with either end of the rad being accessible.

I have stuck with the original side with the flow and TRV on the right hand side of the rad. I had to come up with some fancy (read messy!) pipe work in the other room (on the other side of the wall) in order to get the pipes going directly through the wall and straight into the TRV, however, the finish look is exactly what I was after )in the hallway anyway) When we get into the other room I will change all the pipe work around again - possibly get rid of the rads complete and get some more Thermaskirt.

I do have one problem however on the new rad. The male 1/2" BSP adapter that connects the TRV and lock shield corner fitting to the rad (which in itself threads into the supplied bushes) leaked on first fitting. When I inserted the adapter, the appears to simply thread through the bushes and into the radiator without 'biting'. I did wrap some PTFE tape around the thread but this made no difference. Of course I have now crimped up the compression olive in the 15mm tail so captivating the nut mean that it seem impossible to see if I can tighten the adapter into the bush. I thought that these BSP threads were tapered so that they would compress as the were tightened. I'm not sure if I can righten the compression nut on the corner fitting, then try to thread the whole thing into the rad again, If anyone has any further suggestion, I would be grateful to hear what I can do.

The tapping in the radiator is a parallel thread.

The thread on the valve adapters should ideally be a slightly tapered thread.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back