Is there a way round this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A large house with a gravity hot water/ pumped central heating system, boiler in the basement, airing cupboard on first floor.
The owner wants a fully pumped system with new boiler, but does not want a sealed system or, due to decor, too much upheaval.
The problem I see is that I can put the boiler in the basement with pump and valves, but can't get the feed and vent pipes down there.
Also can't get wiring form basement to airing cupboard if I do it the conventional way.
Does anyone know of a way I can do what he wants?

Sponsored Links
put valves , airjec ,pump, etc in cyl cupboard and use wireless control pack

Thanks Fitz, I've never used those. I guess from you're reply that they can be used on y/s plans. If so that's just what I want, time to start googling.

you will need to pick the heating flow out of the valve up somewhere.never used wireless heatshare packs , but have seen them on the shelf.

Sponsored Links
I've often used the Danfoss wireless cylinder stat. Excellent piece of kit to get you out of a muddle ;)

put valves , airjec ,pump, etc in cyl cupboard and use wireless control pack
That's OK provided the pump is not powered from the boiler to provide overrun facility. There is also the problem that the electrics in the cyl cupboard will be fed from a different source to the boiler. Which means two switches have to be turned off to isolate the system.

I don't see how a wireless control pack will help in this situation. All it does is eliminate the wire between the programmer/thermostat and the wiring centre. You still need hard wired connections from the wiring centre to the boiler.

How about putting the pump on the return beside the boiler so that its driven by the over run.

Then use the wireless RX to power the call for heat contact?

That way the pump over run will operate and the boiler flow will be unrestricted to the vent connection from the cylinder cupboard>

Hows Sooey? Did you get to the last ARGI meeting?

Tony

Thanks for the interest lads, yes D hailsham, having looked at the wiring diagram for the danfoss heat share pack you're right. Looks a handy piece of kit though. I think I'm going to go along the lines of telling the guy that he needs a sealed system. Sometimes they have to be told what they can have. :LOL:
Tony, I'm fine thanks, but couldn't make the ARGI meeting, was there in spirit though.

You could install a Vaillant 4 series open vent downstairs with the pump.

Then run a low voltage ebus two wire upstairs to a Vaillant VR65 control centre (which can be locally powered with no mains electrical isolation issues) running the valves and cylinder stat.

Because the connection between boiler and VR65 is low voltage it can go outside, up the chimney, whatever, and no-one can do a thing about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back