Is there any maintenance on fans?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the fan on your boiler starts to seize (ie, still spins but is getting quite stiff.) do you have to replace the fan or can you lubricate and carry on with the existing one.

Sponsored Links
I could lubricate mine, but I am a RGI and I have the correct lubricant.

Sponsored Links
I don't know about fans, but on some equipment, oiling a worn, dirty bearing fills it with an effective grinding paste made of oil and gritty dust, thus wearing it out very effectively.

Can these bearings be cleaned?

WD40 works 3and1 oil is better and there is a special fan lubricant that can be bought also.
Just your luck if you catch it before it gets to bad but have freed completely seized fans with WD40 and they have lasted for years afterwards

Have used WD40 lots but when i get to them thay have usually seized up,but can often free them but dont often last for more than a couple of weeks to a month.

So I can use WD 40 then although this seems only to be a short term measure. Whats the difference between the special fan lubricant and the WD 40 then?

:confused:

wd 40 is not a lub for a start... 3in1 would be a better bet but a new fan would be the best bet :LOL:

WD40 could be used to clean & free the fan, then later on use a more suitable oil.

Q?.
does the fan have to be working for the pilot lighte to come on?
i have a old glow worm 40-50 rf on which the pilot light is not working along with the fan.

anything i can do?

just followed the suggestions you guys posted, my boiler is now sorted
and i am now one happy cash strapped man!

cheers guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back