is this a 3/4" BSP thread? do I need to find 3/4"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, been lurking on here for a while but this is first question, and hopefully a really easy one..

Is this a 3/4 inch BSP thread? Everything I've seen suggests it is, but I am confused because our house was built in 1963 and I thought the central heating had been renewed much more recently than that.. have I just removed and scrapped one of the original radiators and now going to have a 'mare trying to source a replacement?

Cheers - Kev

jifvzWo.jpg

Sponsored Links
You should have removed the tails from the old radiator and put them in the new one.

Sponsored Links
There are 2 main types of rad valve connections. 3/4" union - yours, and 15mm compression olive.

it would be much better to fit replacement valves, with a TRV if you do not have them. Now in the warm weather is the best time.

not many, but more than enough.

I was especially impressed by the tip I was given to saw a deeper slot in the wall brackets when I needed tinier adjustments than I could get with the screw holes.

But I can't see a concrete floor in the picture, how do you know? Especially with the pipe coming straight up.

In truth I don't know that the OP's are embedded; but trust me, 15mm insets and olives are a pigging nightmare.

Not only are they more prone to leaks, they are an absolute pig when there is not lateral movement.

A chap on here is hopefully trialling some TRV's that are on 3.4" unions still and don't cot a small fortune.... I'll give him a nudge to see if he's had time to form an opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back