Is this a fly tippers charter?

DRM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This applies to Lancashire County Council, but are other county councils applying it?

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/waste-and-recycling/inert-waste.aspx

I watched the news last night and a couple of blokes have been caught on CCTV fly tipping the full length of a street in Blackpool, but I reckon it won't long before our country lanes are choked with the stuff!

I only found out about this because I'm doing some hard landscaping at home and for the 4 trips I've made so far it would have cost me £210 after June 1st.

BTW this is for domestic waste, not trade waste.

Sponsored Links
A similar policy has been in force in Bedford re-cycling centre for several years, any waste carried in private cars will be accepted free of charge while vans or trailers require a permit to enter the site. It had to be bought in as traders were swamping the site with trade waste.

For a DIYer renovating one or maybe two houses a year the permits are more than enough for the waste to be taken free of charge

When trade waste was being taken free of charge the rate payers were subsidising tradesmen by paying for the re-cycling of their waste.

Sponsored Links
When trade waste was being taken free of charge the rate payers were subsidising tradesmen by paying for the re-cycling of their waste.
Interesting point, however as someone who used to run a workshop I'd point out that in return for a fairly hefty business rates bill I received absolutely nothing in return from the council - every ounce of my waste, even lunch room waste, had to segregated and collected by private waste disposal contractors. For something like 15 or 20 years my local council has levied a charge on trade vehicles dropping waste at their waste transfer points, but nowadays I'm also required to have a Waste Carriers Licence from the Environment Agency (£154/3 years), additional insurance to cover waste in transit (£100 pa on my already inflated "white van" trade insurance), a licence or permit obtained in advance from EVERY local authority whose tips I'm likely to use (in a border area that could mean up to 7 or 8 licences and well above average charges at waste transfer stations - typically twice that of hiring a skip). Bear in mind that the "subsidising of trades men disposing of waste from jobs" is actually subsidising the ratepayers on whose houses the work which generated the waste was done..... In any case council waste transfer stations never allowed you to take in anything bigger than a Transit van in my experience, so they never got huge amounts of waste from individual tradesmen. My policy these days is to quote on private jobs with a distinct and separate charge for waste disposal (at cost) because it has become so costly to me to remove and dispose of stuff legally - and for some obscure reason the average man in the street thinks that I should absorb the vastly increased costs we face these days to dispose of their waste. Of course many clients opt not to pay the skip charge and dispose of their own waste, and no doubt some of it gets fly-tipped, but at least it isn't me doing that.

• Thanks
Reactions: DRM
Back