Is This a Fool Proof Way to Get Building Work? Advice Wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just wondered if any of you builders have ever used the council planning dept to get leads for extensions or other building projects that are awaiting planning approval.

If so, has it worked for you or is it far too much hassle to even consider.

I've seen websites where you can buy job leads like rated people etc, but half the time the people haven't even got the necessary planning permission in place, hence wasting money buying the lead. Goind direct to the planning dept seems more targeted and the way to go to keep ahead.

Interested on your views.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
had a letter through the door from someone when we were having our planning for the loft extension done. Went straight in the bin! Felt a bit like an ambulance chasing vulture to me (if you get what i mean!)

Never tried it meself, but what harm can it do? If you don't ask you won't get. Alright some people will bin your approach, but look at the junk mail going around, there has to be a result in it or they wouldn't waste all that cash. What part of Cheshire are you?

Ive had letters from companys such as jewson etc when ive applied for planning,didnt alter who i got to supply me.
Recently i tried this myself.sent out about 30-40 letters but heard nothing.
Most people owuld have a Builder in mind before the plans go for approval.I tried it with no real belief in getting any work and proved myself right so far but...................when you hand flyers out they reckon you'll get about 1 reply per 100 handed out.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, tried the flyers approach and it gets you hardly any results as I suppose when you think about it you are just posting through doors at random.

I am thinking about going down the planning route for only one reason and that is because it is targeted 'touting' for want of a better word.

Rather than just sending out a letter or flyer to prospects, I though about a more in depth approach with a brochure and more detail about the company and what it has to offer etc.

In this current recession it seems like anything has to be worth a try!

yep exactly what i did but with no replies to date.just check on line for planning apps

I did flyers when I lived outside London, the return rate was 1 out of several hundred, but definetely worth it. Newspapers were & still are to me a major waste of time & money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back