is this a legal requirement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a quote for double glazing and was told that because I have window seats it is necessary for me to have toughened glass, I was informed that this was a legal requirement can anyone tell me if this is true?, the height from floor to window cill is 505mm. Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Yes, he is correct, part of the new regs. I think the limit for standard windows is 750mm from the floor.

thanks nstreet for such a quick reply. It's more expensive with toughened glass, the compant I am using is local to me, I have been quoted for two windows 900 wide by 1600 high with one opening ( I have also been told that I have by law to have a bottom opening window in case of fire, is this also true?) and french doors 1780mm wide by 2000mm high. My quote is for 2800.00 do you think this is reasonable. I live in Devon.

Sponsored Links
Yes you have to have any opening vent for fire regs, but i though this applied to upstairs windows, after all, you have doors downstairs. Perhaps someone else can clarify?

As to the cost, as Breezer would say see item 9 in the rules. Get some other quotes first. However if the windows are good quality and come with an insurance backed guarantee then the price is reaonable but at the higher and of the scale. Toughened glass does add quite a bit though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back