Is this a soakaway? It's blocked whatever it is!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20150712_131714667_HDR.jpg
As above really!

The guttering had pulled away towards the top when we moved in here, my old man eventually got round with his ladders and pushed it back in, popped the pipe back into the 'soakaway' (i.e. the drain pipe disappearing into the ground).

It's just tipped it down so thought I'd have a look and water is backing up the drain pipe and spilling out of a spare connector (only part that Wickes had on a Sunday afternoon that would fit when he was doing it!) - to me indicating the soakaway type section is blocked...

Any thoughts on what it could be and how I'd go about resolving it?!
Thanks

(PS I'm aware my window sills and front garden need cleaning ;))

Sponsored Links
Possibly, I just had same issue in a place I just moved into, my neighbour said it was soak away and he had same problem, but as soak a ways apparently have a life of around 50 years (mine would be 60), that's it not a case of unblocking but getting a new one dug :( However I had ago a clearing it bought some drain rods (£20 screwfix) and one of those Karchar drain cleaners attachments (£35) and it appears to have cleared it, worth a try for £55, you can also buy inspection cameras theses days for a £10 off ebay with 10meter cable so you can have a look whats going on down there.

Cheers for the input, eBay inspection camera arrived today so will be taking a look tomorrow!
Sounds like giving a drain rod/pressure wash is worth a shot either way and wait for the next time it dumps it down to see what happens - probably the weekend then!

This possibly blocked soakaway business has been covered many times - perhaps search back for similar subjects.

If you have a local manhole open it and observe if the RWP is discharging into it.
Otherwise the drain is going to a sump. Sometimes soakaways and sumps have to be dug out for clearing solid blockages.
The swamping would strongly suggest a blocked soakaway.
Are the gutters clean and is the RWP clear?

FWIW:
The RWP has a loose clip.
There is a detached copper (?) pipe running near ground level - check that a gas pipe has not been dislodged, a loose clip can be seen.

Sponsored Links
Hi Ree

Thanks for the further pointers, it's more that I wasn't even sure how to identify a soakaway so didn't know if it was one! First property was a flat so just starting to fumble my way around outside maintenance!

Had a look in nearby manhole, but the rwp is downstream so I'm not sure where I'd check next, neighbours?
Re: copper pipe, this is gas but being removed (feeds gas fire in front of a monstrosity of a chimney breast - also to be removed/reduced!)

Re: rwp clip, the whole thing had 'dropped' before we moved in, sorted it over the weekend finally as had got hold of ladders to get up to the top - always good to get a nudge in the right direction!

The rwp itself is clear but the pipe section concreted into the ground is nigh on full to the top with moss... I'm thinking a pressure washer/drain cleaning attachment might be a starting point here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back