Is this a spotlight transformer, can I replace it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm interested in replacing the halogen spots in our kitchen with LED ones. I've tried one that claims it could work without replacing transformers, and it's 'ok' but noticeably flickers, which leads me to suspect it should have an LED transformer...is that a fair assumption?

And, assuming you can see the upload image, am I right to think that the black thing attached to the bracket just protruding from my ceiling is a transformer, this is what needs replacing right?

Any help much appreciated, thanks,

Toby

Sponsored Links
The black casing is just a connector block, the transformer will be on the other end of the block, pull the rest of the light down then the transformer should appear.

The black casing is just a connector block, the transformer will be on the other end of the block, pull the rest of the light down then the transformer should appear.

These days you are unlikely to have a transformer, you"ll probably have a switch mode power supply. It might even be built into the lamp housing.
On the other hand there may be just one switch mode supply for all the lights.

You can of course get 240 volt LEDs which would save the bother of getting a driver.

Sponsored Links

Thanks, will have a look!

Thanks very much for your reply!

These days you are unlikely to have a transformer, you"ll probably have a switch mode power supply. It might even be built into the lamp housing.

Is the 'lamp housing' the cylindrical bit that the build itself goes into? If so, that seems like there's nothing really to it, as you can see the the wire passes straight through.

On the other hand there may be just one switch mode supply for all the lights.

Would that be likely to be found behind one of the spotlights somewhere?

You can of course get 240 volt LEDs which would save the bother of getting a driver.

Presumably this would this require removal of whatever was currently making the supply 12v?

PS (If anyone's still reading!) Am I right to think that the flickering LED indicates the power supply is not wholly suitable?

PS (If anyone's still reading!) Am I right to think that the flickering LED indicates the power supply is not wholly suitable?

Yes, I would think so.

One power supply for all lights would be in the ceiling somewhere. To use 240 volt LEDs you would need to remove the power supply(s) but if you need to change them you need to remove the old ones anyway. You would also need to change the lamp fittings. Worthwhile though, no power supplies, one less thing to fail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back