Is this a supporting wall? (with piccies)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We moved into our lates 70's house 3 years ago, and it is now time to start work on the kitchen. We currently have a kitchen and dining room, at the back of the house, that we want to knock through and make one big room. The house was originally built with the lounge occupying the full front of the house, as can be seen by this photo it has 2 windows in it
5cnjo1.jpg

Here is a picture of the back of the house
2q36gq0.jpg

and here is the offending wall
muk2z7.jpg

All the walls upstairs are stud, and all the walls downstairs are block.

The wall does not have joists resting on it, they run parallel.
However, when my brother came round for a coffee he suggested this maybe a "buttress" type wall.

Basically I would like to know if I can knock this internal wall down, therefore making a space the same dimensions as my front lounge.

Nb, the complete width of the externall wall is 6m, each window is 1.8m wide, and the patio door is 2.1m wide. To give the pillar on the back a bit more strength I intend to make the patio door opening 1.5m wide.

Thanks for ANY help on this

Sponsored Links
Kiteman,

Have you lookd at the joists above the wall, They may still be supported by the wall via a floor beam interconnected to the joists.
I would suggest investigating above the wall.

Also Settlement may be an issue, over the 40 years the house may have settled onto the wall if there is anything ontop of it.

What about a 1.5m opening under a lintel with a nice 70s arch?

Thanks for the response James

Kiteman,

Have you lookd at the joists above the wall, They may still be supported by the wall via a floor beam interconnected to the joists.
I would suggest investigating above the wall.
I lifted up a floorboard in the bedroom (just above the wall) and took a photograph, there is nothing touching the top of the wall

Also Settlement may be an issue, over the 40 years the house may have settled onto the wall if there is anything ontop of it.
I don;t think there is anyhting on top of it

What about a 1.5m opening under a lintel with a nice 70s arch?
Nah, that would split the kitchen in 2, and as I am going for a "modern" look I don't fancy the arch approach.

Thanks for respoding

Kiteman

Good chance it is a butress wall.. could a short pier be left in? ie 300-450mm long.. could use it as a finish to the kitched worktop

Sponsored Links
Good chance it is a butress wall.. could a short pier be left in? ie 300-450mm long.. could use it as a finish to the kitched worktop
Thanks Static, I am seriously toying with that idea.

My only concern is that it won't actually be doing anything. Will 300-450mm be enough?

Kiteman

Without running some real numbers couldnt say for sure, but wouldnt be far off that..
Just would have to make 100% sure its non-load bearing when removing the wall, by carefully removing a brick or two here and there at the top to check for any stray beams sitting on the wall..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back