Is this a supporting wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :)

I'd greatly appreciate it if a builder could tell me whether or not the wall highlighted in the picture below is a supporting wall or not.

I've just moved into the property and would like to knock this small brick partition out so my (new) kitchen worktops will flow from one end to the other.

The room above this corner partition does not have a similar structure and is an open space, but not being a builder or structural engineer i'd like to get a second opinion off yourselves.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Sponsored Links
If the floor joists upstairs rest on this, and don't continue into the main wall, then yes, it is supporting them.

Any idea what it was used for previously?

take up the floor boards directly above the wall in question,and as deluks says.it will give you a better insight on what to do next.

was it a built in larder cupboard?

Sponsored Links
It looks to me like an old pantry/cupboard although i can't be sure. I popped around my neighbours last night to query it with them, perhaps they have/had something similiar, unfortunately they weren't in it seems.

I'll take the floorboards up and let you know how i get on.

Thanks again

Paul

Apologies for the poor quality pics, i cut out a section of floorboard directly above the pantry partiton, from what i can make out it extends directly into the inner leaf of the outside wall - second opinions would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately i can't get my hand in far enough to feel and gauge how far (if at all) into the brick the joist extends, would it be safe to assume it goes far enough in?

What you need to look at is the partition wall and if there are 2 joists side by side sitting on it. You will be able to see the end of one. This will tell you that it is supporting the joists. If not the joists span aross and it isn't supporting them as much.

Sorry, i not quite sure what you mean, the joist in the picture (on the right hand side) runs over the pantry partition wall and appears to extend all the way into the brickwork (as far as i can tell from the pictures). Are you saying to take up the other side and see if the joist is doubled up with one portion not extending full into the brick work?

The joists will go into the external wall unless on joist hangers. However what you are looking is if the joists from the external wall are short ones that finish on the pantry wall and more joists sit next to them and span the rest of the way. I think that's you you meant.

Thanks Stuart, with your sound advice in mind, i took up the floorboard on the other side of the joist which is directly over the partition and from the pictures below, it appears to me that this is a full length joist as well, i tried looking down the opposite direction, i.e away from the wall, and it looks like a straight run of timber.

Incidentally any ideal what that white block could be, would that be a section of lintel above the kitchen window downstairs, looks a wee bit high though for that :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back