Is this back box too high?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like the electricians to weigh in on this

House is getting rewired. I asked the sparky to cut the back box so that the bottom of the backbox is 500mm from the floor.

He was adamant, that the sockets would be too high..

Is he right?

It is in a bedroom and ground floor areas..

Sponsored Links
For part M, it's 450mm - 1200mm above finished floor level for any electrical accessories.
500mm is well within that zone.

Whether Part M applies to your particular installation is another matter.
In any case, if you want them at that height, you can have them there.

'too high' suggests they are still living in the 1930s where it was usual to install sockets in the skirting boards.

Sponsored Links
And that requirement/deemed to comply doesn't exist for refurb/rewire, only new builds.

For part M, it's 450mm - 1200mm above finished floor level for any electrical accessories.
500mm is well within that zone.

Whether Part M applies to your particular installation is another matter.
In any case, if you want them at that height, you can have them there.

'too high' suggests they are still living in the 1930s where it was usual to install sockets in the skirting boards.
Many thanks @flameport

It is good to know that my request of 500mm is well within the zone, even if it is for new builds.

When they state 450-1200mm from finished floor level to electrical accessory, do you know whether they are reffering to the bottom, middle or top of the accessory?

Neither, it's just that the accessory must be within those measurements.
Lowest is the bottom edge at 450mm, highest is the top edge at 1200mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back