Metal back box was not earthed - did it need to be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The question is not quite as simple as it seems. Last week I replaced a socket in my the room I was doing up. To my surprise there was no flylead to earth the backbox, the socket itself was earthed but not the box. So I put in a new sleeved earth from the socket to the backbox.

However from the design of the plug, the metal screws connect directly to to the earth socket, so surely this would earth it anyway?

I have noticed all the sockets in the house are the same, but all the light switches do have an earthed back plate. Did the electrician (probably rightly) think that the screws from the socket to the backplate would be enough to earth it?

Sponsored Links
You have it sussed.

It's not a requirement if one of the lugs is solid, but it is considered good practice to include the link.

You have it sussed.

It's not a requirement if one of the lugs is solid, but it is considered good practice to include the link.

I seem to recall that it was also a requirement if the earthing conductor was provided via conduit/armoured/micc etc but been yonks since I was a practicing spark and as said the link was always put in anyway

Matt

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back