Damaged earth connection in backbox. What do I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the wiring of some new sockets, i damaged the earth in my backbox.

The earth connection has completely come apart from the backbox (see pic)

As i have metal sockets, is it imperative for me to earth the socket to the backbox? And if so, what remedial work do i need to do to fix the broken earth connection?

Please note that removing/replacing the entire backbox is not an option

Attachments

• IMG_20200730_141028014.jpg
    IMG_20200730_141028014.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 576
Sponsored Links
Take the earth conductor directly to the earth terminal of the socket, then a short piece of G/Y wire to link that to the box. Drill a suitable hole in the box and find a self tapper screw and washer to fix the wire via the hole.

Does the metal front plate of the socket have an Earth Terminal that is separate to the Earth terminal for the socket Earth, ?

If it does then these need to be linked together to ensure the metal front plate is securely Earthed in the absence of a secure Earth to the back box.

Also do as Harry has suggested but a self tapping screw should not be relied upon to prove a secure Earth connection.

Sponsored Links
If your back box has at least one fixed lug (that’s where the front plate is screwed on to the box) Then there is no need to Earth the back box, provided the earth wires from the mains feed are connected to the socket’s earth terminal.

so, if the above is true you can put the wire in the picture in the bin, replace the socket and carry on.

Unfortunately this is what back boxes are like - cheapest sheite possible to make them, the earth lug often breaks off.

Does the metal front plate of the socket have an Earth Terminal that is separate to the Earth terminal for the socket Earth, ?
There are two earth terminals on the back of the socket. One on either side of the socket (image attached)

I have a total three earth cables (ring main + spur) coming into the terminals

I have placed two earth cables in one terminal and the remaining cable in the other terminal

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_115110772_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20200731_115110772_HDR~2.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 401
If your back box has at least one fixed lug (that’s where the front plate is screwed on to the box) Then there is no need to Earth the back box, provided the earth wires from the mains feed are connected to the socket’s earth terminal.

so, if the above is true you can put the wire in the picture in the bin, replace the socket and carry on.
Many thanks..

I had a peek on youtube and it appears that this is quite a contentious topic in the sparky community

I cannot locate an image of a metal front Clean Earth 13 amp socket where the CPC connects only to the fixing screws and the Clean Earth connects only to the Earths of the sockets.
clean-earth-socket-jpg.84906

(( Some Clean Earthed sockets accept only those plugs with a T shaped Earth pin ))

Sure, but try and remember that this forum (and this OP) is only thinking about their domestic installation.

For every statement it may be possible to Find an exception, somewhere. You know, when we were installing electrics in an oilfield in Iraq before the war.

There are two earth terminals on the back of the socket. One on either side of the socket (image attached)

I have a total three earth cables (ring main + spur) coming into the terminals

I have placed two earth cables in one terminal and the remaining cable in the other terminal

Better to try to squeeze all the cables into one terminal, rather than rely on the socket's linking of one earth terminal to the other.

Many thanks..

I had a peek on youtube and it appears that this is quite a contentious topic in the sparky community

No one was ever fired for adding the link between socket and box earth terminal.

If due to damage to the cables, the live makes contact with the backing box, I would want to be certain that box has a proper earthing arrangement in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back