Is this bath ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just starting a small project in our bathroom, want to change the bath taps to a mixer type with a shower attachement. Have researched what taps we want (and for basin to match), have found a decent shower screen we like, waterproof flooring, wall tiles, etc. I said to my wife we may as well change the bath at the same time as our has staining at the side where I sprayed some expanding foam down due to bad fitting and tiling by the builder who built the house.

Anyway, there seems to me a massive difference in the cost of an acrylic bath. The cheapest I can find is one from B&Q which is £80.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=3751886&x=0&y=0

I feel a tad concerned that there must be a reason it is cheaper than what I can find elsewhere, but at the same time I'm not so sure what can be wrong with it. Surely they can't sell something which is really poor quality? Alternatively they have a steel bath for £82 but I understand that a cheap steel bath can be prone to chipping.

Any tips are greatly appreciated ;)

Sponsored Links
The thing with baths is the thickness, if its less than 5mm move on.

Thicker baths are available at a price of course.

The link you provide does not say what thickness and one of the reviews suggests that extra support was used. baths should have at least 5 point support if its less, then perhaps thats why its cheap.

Or the buying power of the sheds works in your favour perhaps!

Personally, acrylic wins over steel for me.

"Surely they can't sell something which is really poor quality?" what world do you live in :D

Anyway, there seems to me a massive difference in the cost of an acrylic bath. The cheapest I can find is one from B&Q which is £80.
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=3751886&x=0&y=0
I feel a tad concerned that there must be a reason it is cheaper than what I can find elsewhere
I think your right to be concerend.

but at the same time I'm not so sure what can be wrong with it.
It’ll be flimsy made & crap.

Surely they can't sell something which is really poor quality?
Why on earth not; define "poor quality" :confused: you generally get what you pay for & the price should tell you the story.

Alternatively they have a steel bath for £82 but I understand that a cheap steel bath can be prone to chipping.
A cheap, enameled steel bath will be even more of a liability.

Any tips are greatly appreciated ;)
Unless you have a valid reason for doing it as cheap & as nastily as possible, spend (quiet) a bit more cash for a decent bath.

Thanks for the replies, gives me something to work with when i go and check it out at B&Q.

The reason for wanting to do it cheaply is because we have a lot going on atm. Have been doing some work in the garage, painting it, putting up wall units, have bought some decent racking for it. I have some more expense coming up to finish off my garden decking, and then this idea of doing the bathroom this year rather than next as my wife is due to give birth in the next few weeks and the shower will be of great benefit to us this year.

Personally I'm happy to spend a fair bit more on a decent bath rather than waste money on rubbish.

Sponsored Links
If you’re doing any tiling in that bathroom, make sure you read the Tiling Forum sticky & Forum archive posts before you do any work or buy any materials, it may prevent you making fundamental & potentially expensive mistakes!

have a look at carron carronite baths .Top quality will not flex when you stand in it for shower and come with 30 year g`tee . And for standard size of 1700 by 700 are only around 250 quid for the quantum range

Well I got my new bath, 5mm acrylic with an encapsulated base, from a supplier on ebay. It cost just over £100 and is spot on.

Got the bath installed ok, it was a bit of a chew on for a first timer but we got there in the end. I even had to drill the holes for the taps which was a lot easier than I expected it to be.

I do have an issue though, the bloody waste trap! It was leaking from pretty much every seal and was a nightmare to sort out. My father in-law, who is helping with the tiling, filled the threads with sealant and did them up really tight. It was left overnight but was still leaking. He is adamant that the new trap is rubbish and we should replace it, but personally I think it wasn't fitted properly. Anyway, I have taken it all apart tonight and cleared out all the sealant. Have put it back together again and touch wood all seems ok.

Would I be right in saying that if I over tighten it that it could distort the rubber seal which could cause a leak? Also, is the sealant a bad idea? When I took it apart the sealant was under the rubber seal, causing it to not sit flush.

indeed - quite often sealant will make a rubber ring distort and slide on the sealant - but rubber rings/seals only work properly dry IF ther`e good quality in the first place :cry:

Ok thanks, it's what I suspected. I think it's a decent quality product, certainly wasn't the cheapest. It's made by Wirquin.

How to choose a good quality bath? See the colour firstly, Good quality Acrylic is pure white usually, and very smooth on surface. Secondly, check the thickness of Acrylic. Thirdly, check bottom of bath to see if it is stable enough. Last but not least, check the drain system if have.

"Surely they can't sell something which is really poor quality?" what world do you live in :D
“There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.” - John Ruskin 1819-1900.

The Romans had an expression for it: Caveat emptor (Literally: the buyer should be take care.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back