Is this British Gas quote reasonable?

Sponsored Links
It never ceases to amaze me why anyone would entertain BG/SG, they are by the far the worst trained, installations are poor nearly always, poorly trained 12month trained idiots not apprenticeships like the old days and are out of the planet on pricing.

Get a gas safe registered firm in! you need:

One boiler
possibly two hot water cylinders
thermostatic radiator valves & room/cylinder stats
zone the house off.

Hell you could probably put in an entire heating system from new and still be about half that quotation!

And by the way! that BG330+ is a rebadged bargain bucket Gloworm Ultracom sxi.

Advice!

Get 3 quotes from LOCAL businesses AND LOOK FOR:

1. Gas safe registration
2. A business address and landline number.
3. Look for CIPHE or SNIPEF registration and ensure min level three qualification i.e ADVANCED PLUMBER status, it will be on their grade card.

This is important as you will ensure that they have served a recognised apprenticeship and will ensure you do not get any of the 12 month trained gas idiots or 6 month college trained short course idiots.

When installed you should receive,

1. minor works certificate from the electrician

2.The Benchmark should be completed at the back of the boiler installation manual.

3. Registration confirmation from gas safe and the warrenty cover from the manufacturer.

Thats the best advice you will get take heed!

Sponsored Links
And as usual the HSA won't know that if using the sealed system kit they are only allowed to be rated below 18kW :rolleyes:

Nope of course not that would be silly!

That particular boiler arrives factory set at 18kW but is adjustable up to 33ish.

However it says in the MIs that if the optional kit is used to convert to a sealed system it must not be set higher than 18kW.

None of the salesmen seem to know this :rolleyes: :LOL:

Probably relates to the size of the expansion vessel at a guess.

I'd go for exp vessel as well it's a small flat one that slots in the casing as part of the kit it's probably only about 6 litres.

Hopefully either one of the BG guys or DM46 will know for sure :?:

Oh I see :oops: I didn't realise Glowworm supplied one, BG will put there own sealed system kit together so the expansion vessel will be sized to suit.

Not quite, guess you're unfamiier with this beast?

The sealed system kit fits inside the boiler case adding a lp switch/expansion vessel etc. It's a one size fits all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back