Is this condensation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had the latest roof for 4 years and when I'm in my loft looking upwards, I can see water droplets and small water runs which appear to be on top/outside of the breathable roofing felt rather than on the loft side. Is that normal?

There's no ventilation up there and in winter I've seen condensation droplets form on the inside (loft side) of the old black roofing felt but only right down near the eaves and that's clearly condensation and not roof leaks and that's only ever been right at the very bottom of the roof at the eaves, not higher up.

I'm concerned about the other droplets high up, they're not confined to one spot, they're all over. If that isn't condensation have I got a problem? I mean, does condensation form on the outside (upward side) of felt?

Sponsored Links
zosie, good evening.

Have you had a look at the "posted" information on the roofing and guttering section?

Are there any eaves / low roof near the eaves ventilation? / Ridge level vents?

How deep is the loft Insulation, that is the insulation placed on top of the Plasterboard in the loft space?

Ken.

Hi Ken, where's the "posted" information? I can't see where you mean.

The only ventilation that's in my loft is from a missing brick in an outer wall where the TV cable comes through, there's a little bit of a draft up in my loft. I had new thick loft insulation put in in 2012 just after having the last roof put on.

zosie, Good evening again.

Sorry, wrong description.

If you look at the Forum section of Floors Stairs and lofts, there are "Pinned Posts" and one of the sections is all about roof condensation, may be worth a look.

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, I've taken a look now although from reading it I still can't tell if the water droplets which appear to be on top of my white breathable felt is condensation or not. Is that type of felt absorbent? i.e. so the condensation could be forming within my loft but appearance-wise you could be fooled into thinking water is actually running on the top of the felt? I mean it does look like it's on top of the felt rather than on the underneath side. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back