Is This Feasible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, maybe a bit of a question for the sparks in the trade...

We are redecorating our hallway and want to change the light setup. We currently have two ceiling lights downstairs and two upstairs. There are two switches in each area that control the upstairs and downstairs lights so that both areas can be switched on independently from both areas.

We are looking to replace the current lights with Led downlighting controlled in the same way. We also though want to add a pendant cluster light on the stairway, ideally that could be switched on separately to the downlights both up stairs and downstairs.

Is that a massive job or would need quite a few holes in the wall to run wires? I know I am decorating but would rather not spend a load of time and cash doing something that is nice to have. Our house is timber framed by the way.

Yes, I do plan to get a spark in to do at least the downlights but thought someone in the know on here could quickly rule that out the additional circuit for the pendant, unless it’s a case of really needing to understand how it’s all wired.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
We are looking to replace the current lights with Led downlighting controlled in the same way.
No problem - just swap.

We also though want to add a pendant cluster light on the stairway, ideally that could be switched on separately to the downlights both up stairs and downstairs.
You will need a new cable from the supply point - which is probably at an existing light (it maybe at one of the switches) - to the new light,

plus cable,
either
from supply point or new light to one switch and then the other,
OR
from the supply point or new light (wherever) to both switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back