Is this lintel ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It has been for 88 years (1930s semi with rosemary tiled roof). It is 170mm deep X 65mm. Above, but separated by a bed of mortar, is a 75mm x100m wall plate supporting the rafters and joists. I'm adding some new 7x2 ceiling joists sitting on the wall plate and 18mm chipboard flooring to provide loft storage (3-400kgs). Roof covering will be replaced in a few years (flat concrete tiles seem to be popular in the area - don't know whether these are heavier than the existing). I think I'll have problems if I leave it as is and I know if it was a full loft job it would need steel in. I'd rather not take it out as there's a big lead cavity tray nailed to the back of it so wonder if I can reinforce it with an angle iron or flitch plate.
While I appreciate it may be an SE question any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Span is 1.76m.

Sorry the photos aren't great it's sunny here!
IMG_20180111_110944789_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180110_142343569.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OK for re-tiling in concrete, but if you were supporting a floor off it as well....?
Why not just reinforce with a 4 x 2 channel section bolted flat to the face?

Thank you Tony, I thought it would need something. Channel would project beyond the finished wall as it's only about 25mm back from the plaster. Looking at steel sizes a 100x65x7 unequal angle should fit quite nicely so I'll fit one of those in.

Sponsored Links
Hi, because I'm putting a new loft storage floor on top - and we have a lot of heavy junk and we can't get rid of it because the wife says we really need all of it, for ever!

1.76m of timber lintel and the wall plate above it take anything you might be able to put in a loft.

1.76m of timber lintel and the wall plate above it take anything you might be able to put in a loft.

'anything'?
depends on the span of the new joists, and the actual loading. If it's the accepted loft floor live load of 5lbs/ sq ft, then maybe OK,
if normal domestic loading of 30lbs..........?
The wall plate and beam will work separately, according to their I-value, so the wall plate will contribute little to the combination.

I just love it when you put things in to perspective Woody. Wish I had the same knack.

We tend to keep stuff for a few years till it acquires a patina of damp and mould then throw it away!

I apologise but I gave the wrong measurement for the span, it's 2.3m (the 1.76 was the big sealed unit). For my own peace of mind I've put a piece of angle iron in - £5 and half an hour's work.
IMG_20180113_105906354.jpg
IMG_20180113_104446047.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back