Is this motorised valve in the correct position?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,
I have a plumbing system with an unexplained bang that occurs when the heating is switched off. I heard that this can occur if the valve is placed backwards. Can anyone explain to me if the example in the picture is backwards? The arrow on the brass ware appears to point towards the Joule cyclinder when I think it should go the other direction?
FnS1ll7

uKfliZz

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That’s the hot water valve, you mentioned it happens when heating is turned off - the bottom 2 will tell you.

Thanks. That is surprising because I thought the water leaves the cylinder from the the part marked 'boiler flow' and returns at the part named 'boiler returns' which is lower down.

The other two valves are for downstairs and upstairs heating. Both of their arrows point downwards. I guess the upstairs heating goes downstairs before returning up again.

Nope other way about, the 'boiler flow' is the flow from the boiler and the 'boiler return' is the return to the boiler.

Thanks. That is surprising because I thought the water leaves the cylinder from the the part marked 'boiler flow' and returns at the part named 'boiler returns' which is lower down.

Flow is the hot(ter) output coming out of the boiler, Return is the cooler water going back/ returning to the boiler.

The hotter boiler flow, always goes to the top of a cylinder, because the got water content of a cylinder stratifies - hot will always rise up, cold will drop to the bottom. As more heat is applied to the cylinder, the stratification hot/cold level will progress downwards in the cylinder.

The filling loop also appears to be fully open, so could be a prv operating?

Cheers! In the first picture, the arrow with letters on the brass tee should be just about visible. The arrow points towards flow. Isnt that backwards? Pardon me for repetition but I hope it is clearer now. The bang that I hear is not extremely loud but it is annoying. I had a plumber out to look at it and he just said it was the actuator and that he would leave it alone.

CBW, should the filling loop be less open?

The filling loop shouldn’t be open at all :D

The fill loop is there just to top up the pressure, should the pressure drop - a drop in pressure will mean you have a leak somewhere, so the ideal is never needing to top it up. In practice some slight loss is to be expected. Needing topping up once per season is not unreasonable, or if air has been bled out of the rads. If the pressure drops too low, the boiler will lock itself out, to prevent damage.

So the normal is to have both top up valves turned to off, some also advise disconnecting the fill loop as well.

see that more and more where the mains pressure is lower (1-1.5bar) or the PRV is set to 1.5bar and it's left turned on, basically it keeps the systems automatically topped up. Bad practice of course as if there was a leak it would just keep going.

That being said if your filling loop is open at both ends, as it seems to be, then either your mains pressure can't be the best (0.75 bar) unless or it's on a PRV set to that pressure. If that is your mains pressure then there shouldn't really be an unvented cylinder installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back