Is this Oak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We ordered this bed from Dreams http://www.dreams.co.uk/beds/wooden-beds/wentwood-bedstead-1/ described as "a traditional wooden bed with beautiful craftsmanship", "Solid Oak with Oak veneers".

We already had a different Oak bed from them and my mum bought the one above last year so we thought we knew what we were getting. However, the new one arrived and it is totally different to my mums and those shown in the showrooms for the same model. Instead of glossy polished solid oak it is now a matt reddish venear which is clearly stuck to MDF. Can you tell if it's even Oak from these pics? We will try to send it back (unfortunatly didn't keep the boxes) but if I apply wax would it look more similar to the others and would that also help to control the splintering which is happening on some sections? I've posted a photo of another of our oak drawers on top for comparison and also some from our real oak bed. Thanks

View media item 56894 View media item 56895 View media item 56896 View media item 56897 View media item 56898 View media item 56905 View media item 56906
Last one, from a proper oak bed

View media item 56899

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Looks to me like "solid oak with oak veneers", exactly what it said on the tin.
Thing is, it's not what's on show in the showrooms, it's very different and we wouldn't have bought it had it been MDF in the showroom. Since when was MDF "traditional".

Anyway, if I were to wax it to get the same finish as the showroom rather than the matt, splintered finish currently on it, would that wreck the venear/MDF under it?

But you didn’t really think you were going to get a solid oak bedframe from Dreams for £289 did you? Really? Really?

But you didn’t really think you were going to get a solid oak bedframe from Dreams for £289 did you? Really? Really?
It was a lot more than £289, and we ordered and received a solid oak from them in the past, my mum ordered and received a solid oak last year and they show solid oak in the showrooms so yes I would expect it. Oakfurnitureland was our alternative and that's 100% solid oak too for the same price.

But the linky you posted clearly says a mixture of solid and veneered. If the bed did not match the showroom one why did you not just reject it? :confused:

But the linky you posted clearly says a mixture of solid and veneered. If the bed did not match the showroom one why did you not just reject it? :confused:
I wasn't there when it arrived, knew something was different but couldn't put my finger on it until we went to the show room and found the original has a totally different finish and is solid, on investigation I realised not only was the finish different, colour different but the materials are also now different and much inferior.

Main problem is we didn't have space to keep the huge boxes so now they probably wont take it back. Wont be shopping there ever again, the bed was the only thing worth having, the rest was pretty much rubbish and the showroom was empty whereas OFL next door was full and selling genuine products.

they have to take it back as long as it was clear you purchased it as being the same as the one in the showroom
as in i would like a bed the same as that one on display rather than you assuming what you ordered would be the same

they have to take it back as long as it was clear you purchased it as being the same as the one in the showroom
as in i would like a bed the same as that one on display rather than you assuming what you ordered would be the same

Thanks, but reading various reviews I think we are stuck with it as it appears to be virtually impossible to return stuff without huge "admin fees". It was a wedding present but we can put that money towards something better instead.

I would like to improve the finish though. We have some light wax which was bought with our OFL stuff so I'm wondering if that will be effective on whatever the bed is made from?

It's a lot of work for a slight colour change, no two will ever be the same being that oak is a natural product.
There are also several types of oak on the market depending on country of origin, and they may have little control over what type of oak they get from their suppliers. No oak is better than any other AFAIK, although for some reason, English oak has a nice 'ring' to it in marketing terms. (no pun intended!)

It's a lot of work for a slight colour change, no two will ever be the same being that oak is a natural product.
There are also several types of oak on the market depending on country of origin, and they may have little control over what type of oak they get from their suppliers. No oak is better than any other AFAIK, although for some reason, English oak has a nice 'ring' to it in marketing terms. (no pun intended!)

Thanks, I'm thinking more about protection than colour change, the veneers are splintered in places and some of the joins have the filler coming away. I'm thinking a wax finish will be more resistent?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back