Is this possable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently on eco 7 for heating and cant afford to go to gas central heating so would this b possable.
Only got one eco 7 spur which is based in the front room for a storage heater just purchased two more for bedrooms but dont have any eco 7 spurs in the rooms so would it be possable to change the normal fixed spurs which were on my existing panel heaters to eco 7 by tracing bck to fuse box and rewire up to eco 7 meter so they come live on off peak times rather than live all the time and just switching on/off manualy.
Tried to explain best i can so please bear with me,dont really want to add more feeds due to mess etc .

Sponsored Links
so would it be possable to change the normal fixed spurs which were on my existing panel heaters to eco 7 by tracing bck to fuse box and rewire up to eco 7 meter so they come live on off peak times rather than live all the time and just switching on/off .

Unlikely, you mention the word spurs, which suggests the panel heaters are simply wired from a ring circuit. So no would be the immediate answer.

What you need to do is to turn the panel heaters off via the fuse board. Then check the other circuits and see what is dead (by say plugging in a lamp at each and every socket). This needs to be done to see what is actually on the circuit with the panel heaters.

If the panel heaters are on a dedicated mcb or even separate mcb's (no other sockets or services impacted by the test above) then altering the wiring could be plausible. Wiring 2 x storage heaters with one cable isn't an option.
E7 tends to have it's own cu and each heater is on it's own dedicated radial circuit.

Do remember that such work should be done by a pro, a pro may have some sensible cable route options that you haven't considered.

Do you know for sure the spurs in the bedrooms are independant circuits and not on the ring final circuits .?

Apologies Chri5.. I posted at the same time as you.......yours was a much more informative content than mine anyway !

Sponsored Links
Unsure if the spurs in the two bedrooms are on a dedicated circuit always thought the ones which were not a plug type were on there own circuit.
Will b getting a pro in just wanted to know if it was possable before makin a fool of myself lol.

No harm in asking Gaz...better safe than sorry........The Forum exists to help and promote safety .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back