Is this really true?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if you could help me with something.

I want to turn a large bedroom into two rooms and insert a window in the second room. The outer walls are single skin 500mm victorian stone. (smallest window we can get away with)

The stud wall was to be 100mm thick x 3000mm L x 2000m W.

Now a builder we know has quoted us £4,000! I am thinking this is way over the top. Can anyone clarify whether is is a true price? Or is he conning us!

We live in Wiltshire if that is of any use.

Sponsored Links
He doesn't want to do the job, for one reason or another. Get a few more quotes.

It does seem a bit high, but there may be work involved which we are not aware of. Get more quotes

Don't forget you need building regulations approval, and there may be means of escape issues in terms of the window size and escaping from one room via another. It is always a good test of a builder of they bring this up without you asking about it first

Each room has a separate doorway. It is one room split into two.

And I am a qualified interior designer so I know about all of the technical stuff. I just thought the quote was super high.

Thanks for your advice. We will defo not be using him, I agree that he probably does not want the job as he came to see what needed doing a couple of months ago and only got back with a quote today. And even that was after pushing for it.

Surely even £2,000 is pushing it?

Sponsored Links
Surely even £2,000 is pushing it?
To cut out a window opening, put in a lintel above, fit a window, cut out a new door way, fit a frame and door, then put up a stud wall and plaster it?

I had a quote of nearly £800 to fit a lintel to an existing window which was built without.

Daniel

And I am a qualified interior designer so I know about all of the technical stuff.
What technical stuff in particular?

Has any of this stuff been itemised on the £4k quote?

Are any of the existing external walls receiving additional insulation for instance?

When I said technical stuff I meant regulations on fire safety etc etc. I have to know some basics on construction (wall construction etc).

He has not broken anything down. I do not want a break down as I believe this to be way off the mark. I do not need a break down to see this.

I believe the first answer to be correct. He does not want to do it.

get someone to give a breakdown quote including their daywork rate - then compare it to your rate for "designing" :mrgreen: Maybe even buy some materials and DIY - that`s what this site is for - help and advice to DIY`ers

Don't be silly, her day rate is £500. How can a dumb builder be worth that much? :confused:

You may be right Joe.

Especially with the " Even £2000 is pushing it" comment. The builder's intuition of detecting a client who will moan about the final bill may have flagged this one up.

A job for the cheap polskis, I wager

Probably not just the price but it's hard to work for an expert who knows all the technical stuff and has an opinion on it. Guy probably wouldn't call back for £40k.

Is there any need to be so nasty? I am only going by work I have had done else where in the house and I find this quote way over the top, does that mean I expect something for nothing?

I never claimed to be an expert either, I have to know about fire regs etc etc. As for construction, I know how the basics work however if I were an expert I wouldn't be asking you would I.

I would construct it myself but I can't cut straight.

The outer walls are single skin 500mm victorian stone. (smallest window we can get away with)

Builder may have experience of working with these walls . . . . .

THe ONLY valid wayof assessing the quote is by comparing with more quotes, remember the rule, anyone quoting much lower than others probably doesn't understand what the job entails or is going to cut corners.

BTW don't you need to be FENSA approived to fit windows these days?

THe ONLY valid way of assessing the quote is by comparing with more quotes, remember the rule, anyone quoting much lower than others probably doesn't understand what the job entails or is going to cut corners.
I think, unless you really do know what it should cost, three is a minimum.
- Both to get three peoples decisions, and to highlight if one is a lot less than the other two, a lot more, all all much of a muchness.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back