is this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like confirmation on correct connections from what I understand of posts below.

Setup:

Adding a 2-way switch to a single 1 way light switch. The mains feed comes from the fusebox to the existing light switch first and then on to a junction box supplying 2 off fluorescent strip lights. Within the existing switch box there are 2 cables, one in from mains, one out to junction box. Live wire (mains) is connected to L1 and live wire (JB) is connected to L2. Both neutral wires are joined by plastic terminal strip as is the earth wire. First of all - is this a bodge? Most DIY books say that supply cable goes to the light fitting first, then onto the switch...

However, as I understand the posts below, in order to setup 2 way switching for lights, I should connect wiring as follows:

Within existing switch:
Mains live to existing switch, conn L1. Live out to JB, conn L2

Yellow / Black wire from conn L1
Blue / Grey wire from conn L2
Red / Brown from Common

Mains neutral in, connected with terminal strip, to JB neutral out
Earth in, connected with terminal strip, to earth JB out

Within new switch:

Yellow / Black wire to conn L1
Blue / Grey wire to conn L2
Red / Brown to common

Is this correct? Incidentally, 3 core & earth cable bought at Homebase on Saturday, why black, grey, brown and not yellow, red, blue as all the books show?

Many thanks, Orbster
=======================
see forum rules 17 & 20
your post has been split

Sponsored Links
New harmonised colours...

One day, one of these nice sparky guys will re do the "for reference" section with a nice new updated piccie with harmonised colours.

Wont you guys :D

Hi Orbster,
Might have misunderstood, but are you trying to turn a one way (i.e. one switch controls one light on/off) into a two way (two switches control one light; either can turn on /off)? You don't mention the other switch. Can you say more please?
V

Hi Viewer,

Thats exactly right, already have one switch at one end of my garage turning on & off a single light circuit. Wish to add a second switch, at the other end of the garage, controlling the same light circuit.

Cheers, Orbster

Sponsored Links
Hi Orbster,
You need 2# two way switches (if they have comm + L1 + L2 they are already 2 way). As it's a garage and (I hope) there are no problems with plastering etc, the easiest way is to leave the one connected to the light with the comm terminal going to the light. L1 and L2 then connect to the other switch at L1 and L2. The power supply then goes to comm on this switch. You can just use T + E between the two, putting brown sleeve/tape on the blue and green yellow on the exposed CPC; no need for a junction box between them, although this might be the source ot the power to switch and the terminal for the neutral (which goes directly to the light) and the CPC.
HTH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back