Is this rising damp or condensation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The is a downstairs cellar, the wall at the back is an external wall and on the right is internal wall.

I know the right hand side has a water mark implying it's rising damp. But this is a internal wall. The other side of the wall is another cellar. The flooring on the other side is old terracotta tile floor.

I took the skirting off and the back of the skirting on all sides was bone dry. The plaster was touching the ground on all sides and I have hacked off a few inches now.

Any input would be helpful.

Attachments

• PXL_20240418_211213304~2.jpg
    PXL_20240418_211213304~2.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
To identify condensation, tape a piece of clear plastic or clingfilm tightly to the wall. If mist and water droplets appear on the room side, it is condensation. If they appear on the wall side, the wall is wet.

It is normal for cellar walls and floors to be damp.

Look for nearby drains and waterpipes, which often leak in old houses.

It looks to me like the damp is coming from the ground. If you chip off the plaster it will be able to evaporate more easily so the brickwork will be drier. You will need to ventilate away the water vapour.

If you have a wooden floor, lift a few boards and look underneath.

Do not allow anyone who sells silicone injections or creams into your house.

"The plaster was touching the ground on all sides and I have hacked off a few inches now."

That could well have been the problem. Try washing the staining off with diluted bleach then once it has dried try JohnD's suggestion or perhaps that might be better if you did it the other way round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back