Is this roof work ok? Opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had reclaimed plain concrete tiles and lead valley work completed to a small extension yesterday, noticed a fair size gap (3 inch) between tiles overhanging valley and lead gutter - can someone advise if this is all ok, before I pay for the job! many thanks in advance, pics attached:

Should there be a fillet under the lead where the tiles overhang? or should the gap between tiles and lead be packed with mortar?

Sponsored Links
Looks ok to me. Are you actually in Russia?

Plain tiles are perfectly acceptable dry laid up an open valley (no matter what NHBC says), mortar can cause its own issues in valleys especially if badly carried out

Sponsored Links
My only concern is the lumps and bumps in the valley and how far up the roof the lead goes? The tiles look fine to me and I'd agree that mortar has it's own issues but if the lead isn't fitted correctly it won't last.

thanks all for comments.

the guys said it is 18 inch lead. i formed the valley myself out of 18mm ply, it has a 6 inch 'sole' with 4 inch valley board either side, giving 14 in total. guess that means the lead laps 2 inches under the tiles. i can clearly see lath when i look at the gap between the the lead and the tiles. in fact i can get my hand in there no problem, up to the wrist - no lewd remarks pleas! (which is why i was concerned in the first place) nice to know its not a big deal.

valley is approx 750mm in length on a 30 degree pitch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back