Is this satisfactory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, is it feasible to take a spur of a ring main, to a 13A FCU and then from there to a junction box which will then split out 3 sepearte feeds which will power a external security light, a burglar alarm and also a smoke alarm.

Many Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Could I make a suggestion and ask would it not be easier to supply the external light and the smoke alarm from the lighting circuit?

V

thanks for the reply,
I would always put the smoke alarm from a light if possible, however I am doing this for a friend as his brother in law has been promising for months an does never seem to have the time. me mate does not want to lift any more floor boards and has laid a cable from the smoke to his loft space. the alarm and security light is gonna be surface mounted, his desire not mine.
he wants everything else wired as mentioned in first message and this is the easiest way i could think of.
Just wanted a second opinion that it is satisfactory and with in the regs.
hopefully I will get more opinions, many thanks

I seem to remember from my dim and distant past, that to comply with BS intruder alarms need their own dedicated supply from the CU. Not a supply shared with other things.

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember from my dim and distant past, that to comply with BS intruder alarms need their own dedicated supply from the CU. Not a supply shared with other things.

Depends on which BS. Certainly there's no requirement in BS 7671 for this. generally it doesnt care about the attached device, only the fixed wiring installation.

Not a BS7671 reg either, smoke alarms afaik are not meant to be connected to socket circuits, they are either meant to be connected to a regularly used lighting circuit or their own way on the CU.

My smokes are part of the alarm system (lets the neighbors know with a different tone if I'm on fire) which is on the security circuit along with the CCTV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back