Is this the correct way to install Celotex?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wonder if someone could help me please;

Im planning on installing rigid board insulation (e.g celotex/kingspan) on the inside of my house (its a 1920s bungalow with thin 15cm timber frame walls). Would you mind advising on the following?

1. I assume I can just leave the existing walls and plaster completely alone and just build an internal stud wall which I can fill with insulation. If so do I just attach the new studs to the existing studs through the plaster(using some very long screws/nails?) or do I need to remove all the old plaster to reveal the existing studs?

2. Do I need to leave an air gap on either side of the celotex/kingpspan, or should it be flush against the plasterboard?

3. Do I need to put some form of water proof barrier between the celotex/kingspan and the plasterboard, and if so which side (I think its the internal side right?)

4. If I wish to install 100mm of celotex what would be the total size of the new stud wall (i.e how much of the room would I loose?)

Thanks very much!
Tom.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back