Is this work acceptable (pics)? Central heating system.

Sponsored Links
But that was the logical thing to do from the outset, if he was not happy with the work and the builder said it was fine, then the only sensible thing to do is get the opinion of another installer on site, there is no other way, photos on a web site in this situation does not tell the whole story, you have to see the complete installation to form an opinion and advise the client accordingly.
Do you really believe he needed a forum to enable him to come to that conclusion

He has had some comments on the quality of the work.

There are no regulations concerning how CH pipes should be fitted ( apart from insulating them under floors which are outside the thermal envelope ).

There is "good practice" about how CH pipes should be installed. As far as I can see there is nothing that seriously infringes "good practice".

Then there is the question of tidyness. That seems seriously untidy and probably strains some of the joints.

Most of us agree its not been done very well. But to construct a legal case to present to a court would be pretty difficult.

Another installer on site would usually need paying and views on the severity of the shortcomings can vary widely. Mine would be that "its poor but of a quality that is often seen"!

Tony

But that was the logical thing to do from the outset, if he was not happy with the work and the builder said it was fine, then the only sensible thing to do is get the opinion of another installer on site, there is no other way, photos on a web site in this situation does not tell the whole story, you have to see the complete installation to form an opinion and advise the client accordingly.
Do you really believe he needed a forum to enable him to come to that conclusion

The plumber we've know for years played the devil's advocate when I spoke to him - no clips is fine, no insulation is fine, Speedfit in concrete is fine, no ducting over the plastic in concrete is fine, not recommending a two pipe system - well he'd look like he was trying to get extra work. One pipes can work fine.
I guess he does not want to get involved in this.

Sponsored Links
I expect he wonders why you did not get him to do the work for you!

Then like me he probably thinks its not very good but not contravening laws or regulations!

Tony

SB - I'm just wondering how logical it is, to come onto an internet forum to give advice to someone saying they should not come onto an internet forum to be given advice.
:confused:

The advice is of limited value - nobody's saying otherwise, but it's not valueless, and it is free. Alun certainly has more information than he had, and he said it's helped him.
A plumber on site clearly may NOT give the whole story either - the one which Alun has, shows that.

In this particular case the pictures do give a pretty good indication of the quality of the work.

But whilst its what I would describe as "poor" and "untidy", neither of those descriptions seems to me to to be strong enough to support legal action in the absence of any contravention of regulations.

The plumber on site may be irked that he was not given the job or he may consider, like I do, that, whilst poor, it will do the job its intended to and cannot be argued about.

Tony

He has had some comments on the quality of the work.

There are no regulations concerning how CH pipes should be fitted ( apart from insulating them under floors which are outside the thermal envelope ).

There is "good practice" about how CH pipes should be installed. As far as I can see there is nothing that seriously infringes "good practice".

Then there is the question of tidyness. That seems seriously untidy and probably strains some of the joints.

Most of us agree its not been done very well. But to construct a legal case to present to a court would be pretty difficult.

Another installer on site would usually need paying and views on the severity of the shortcomings can vary widely. Mine would be that "its poor but of a quality that is often seen"!

Tony

Where to start.....theres clear guidelines for the installation of those pipes let alone guidence for insulating them.
So good practice would actually be British Standard 7291.

Looking at the pics in order, pic 1 can't see what's wrong.pretty standard to see plastic slightly bend going into fittings due to it being used from a coil.if
You wanted to be ott, you could fit the clips that stop the screw section undoing.

Pic 2, pipework is above floor but from your posts that's how the old one was, the tee may be close to the joist but as long as
It's not touching its not installed badly.

Pic3 and 4, it's a one pipe big deal. Yes there not clipped but if they were they'd sag when they warm anyway as the pipework stretches.

If those pipes are being concreted over then it's a different story.

So far I only see an issue wit possible fittings in solid floor construction. But if they were left accessible even then it wouldn't be an issue.

leec wrote
Pic3 and 4, it's a one pipe big deal.

Doesn't their design/installation require some careful consideration and not lashed in like a farmer running mdpe to a cattle drinker?
Is this what the plumbing trade has come too?
Maybe its the austerity measures and cut backs.

If those pipes in 3/4 were done in copper with no lagging, no clips would
You still be saying its lashed in or would it be ok.

It's going to be hard to clip that bit, in fairness I've seen a million times worse in plastic than that.

Using a batton spanning the joist and clipping the pipe/s should be the norm , but it isn't. ;)

Im not a plumber but I also dont like push fits being bured and think it looks fairly slap-dash. That said, that appears to be fairly common these days, and it will proberbly work ok. Just a pain to have to put it right if it does fail 6months down the line after the builders buggered off.

Daniel

If those pipes in 3/4 were done in copper with no lagging, no clips would
You still be saying its lashed in or would it be ok.

It's going to be hard to clip that bit, in fairness I've seen a million times worse in plastic than that.

You seem to be condoning this one pipe installation.
Will it work efficiently lashed in in such a fashion?
Yay or nay?
Lets have your professional opinion. :mrgreen:

My opinion is that the customer got what he asked, he wanted plastic he got it.
He wanted the pipes above the floor, he got it.
He was aware its one pipe and didn't want it changing.

My professional opinion on it would be the pipes in 3,4 I'd have done in copper and wrapped, but the customer specified plastic.
It would now be the customers responsability to ensure when screeded that the fittings remain accessible.

Yes it'll work!

If plastic pipes are to be buried in screed they should be in a conduit, no joints should be buried in the screed,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back