is three inches enough for a knob?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am thinking of getting some 6-panel moulded firedoors to replace my old flush ones, as I think they look much better. I grew up in an Edwardian house so have a taste for these things. I like brass doorknobs rather than lever handles, and was thinking of getting 3" sashlocks or latches. However the doorstop is about 1" thick as they are fire doors, so is this going to be too close to the knob for comfort?

I have also seen 6" tubular latches on sale, which would be nice, but they are about £7 each which seems to me rather expensive for a tube latch. Horizontal sashes would be even nicer but are even more expensive.

Sponsored Links
I too dislike lever handles, as I'm always snagging my clothing on them. However, sometimes they're a necessary evil.

I suppose for you the choice is between bruising your knuckles quite frequently, until you acquire the conditioned reflex that positions your hand carefully every time you open and close a door, or spending the extra money.

I'd go for the more comfortable distance from the door stop; it will look better proportioned, anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back