Is using a Window 'System' for a door ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

After a bit of advice, and hope someone can help. I have a builder doing an extension on my house. For the back door, it is meant to be a UPVC STABLE door.

What he has put in, rather than a door as such, is a window, with a full-size opener (as the 'door') and another opener within the top half to give the stable effect (so an opener within an opener).

Is this reasonable? Is there are reason not to use a window system in lieu of a conventional door?

Advice massively appreciated. Thanks

GlenCo

Sponsored Links
no expert
but you wont have the same strength and security ??

and will you insurance company be happy with window locks i doubt it very much

also would a window be passed by building control when you pay them to pass them ??

Good points re insurance and Building Control. I'll look into them.

Just been looking on the net, and found that (amazingly?), it is what SafeStyle UK seem to do:
http://www.safestyle-windows.co.uk/doors/stable-doors/

So I guess it is "ok" possible (depending on lock / mechanism, access etc). It just looks so... naff!

Any more advice to the contrary would be appreciated though.

Sponsored Links
Its a bit odd but does seem to be a proper door so no insurance issues hopefully.

They do make actual PVC stable doors, This is the only pic I have handy of one that Ive fitted.

IMG_1968_zps67689ecf.jpg

ahh right i thought it was a bodge made from only window components :D :D
of course if its door components it should be fine :cool:

Now that's what I WAS expecting.

Looks like one I may have to put down to experience. Frustrating. But one to learn from!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back