Is white wine better than red wine..... discuss

• Thread starter 2scoops0406
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
Suzy Perry ? Good job presenting the real racing on box !!

G & T, I am afraid with lots of ice and a twist of lemon ...

Sponsored Links
I can't stand perry, never could. Real zoider used to be great for me but after sinking a few too many pints of "Old Rosie" I find it hard now. Occasionally I will hanker for the taste, buy an overpriced jar of "scrumpy" in the supermarket and spend an evening thinking "this doesn't taste like the real thing", then wake up with a stonking head. Any time you are in the west country, make use of the cider mills and cider houses... they are a dying industry and if you don't taste it now you might never.

I can't drink spirits as they go down far too easily and I wake up in the bath wearing different clothes than I went out in...

Red wine or white wine? Why not be diplomatic and go for rosé... a nice compromise :D I always thought that you can't go wrong with a bottle of Chardonnay but now I know people who find it too dry.

There was a documentary a few weeks back about peasants in the middle ages; evidence shows that some of the posher peasants in medieval England were drinking French wine... so the English drinking wine as a nation is no new phenomenon. Been going on since Roman times.

In answer to the wine question, personally I prefer white, as red gives me a hideous headache the following day. But I don't drink wine very often anyway.

When I'm out it's cider, but it has to be Strongbow. I find Blackthorn absolutely vile so if we're in a pub that doesn't do Strongbow I drink Guinness.

As an aside (talking of Guinness), has anyone else been to Dublin and done the tour of the Guinness factory, and what did you think? I had a great weekend there in November last year, but found the tour to be very disappointing as you don't see any of the working factory.

Have a good joke on this post, folks -

Whatever I drink I try and get it as close to traditional/original/notbeggeredaboutwith as I can...

securespark said:
Have a good joke on this post, folks -

Whatever I drink I try and get it as close to traditional/original/notbeggeredaboutwith as I can...

Considering you do not drink ... not too dificult ! ;)

Hey up ! Latest is we are all on Prozac through the water supplies. :eek:

pipme said:
Hey up ! Latest is we are all on Prozac through the water supplies. :eek:
Is that why I feeling happy now ? Better cancel my prescription then :LOL:

white wine has less phenols than red wine (40mg versus 200mg per glass).

there are a number of studies that looked at the effect of wine phenols and it appears that they are protective against a number of disease processes including coronary heart disease. Interestingly alcohol in mild doses is also protective for coronary heart disease.

Therefore drink RED wine rather than white but drink in moderation.

I drink a few bottles of wine a week & I drink red as it can come straight from the cupboard, White wine put it in the fridge get it nice & cold sit in the garden & it gets to warm, I also think the red looks nice.

waran said:
there are a number of studies that looked at the effect of wine phenols and it appears that they are protective against a number of disease processes including coronary heart disease.

The "French paradox": the French eat lots of rich fatty foods, yet have relatively low levels of heart disease. They also have a tendency to drink one or two small glasses in a sitting, rather than 3 enormous English wine glasses (i.e. a bottle!).

The jury's still out on how much and when to drink your red wine. Interestingly the majority drink red wine whilst having a meal and perhaps this influencing absorption of fatty acids etc. Current evidence suggest 1 to 2 glasses of red wine a day as being optimal. (not sure about British ones being bigger than French ones - :LOL: )
Interestingly the benefit of red wine seems to be on a par with that of diet so perhaps the French are onto something.
Not all fat is bad for you by the way. Some are absolutely necessary.

waran said:
not sure about British ones being bigger than French ones - :LOL:

It's true! Go round someone's house, and if they offer a glass of wine, accept. An Englishman will, 9 times out of 10, grab a 150-250ml wineglass, and fill it to pretty much the top. It is a generosity thing, no-one wants to appear stingey with the measures in England.

Now, go to France. Get invited round for dinner somewhere, and watch what happens with the wine. First thought will be "why have I got a kiddy's glass?", second thought will be "they've only filled it halfway!" :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back