Is white wine better than red wine..... discuss

• Thread starter 2scoops0406
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
waran said:
actually I think it's healthier (in that you live longer) if you drink a small amount of alcohol. It lowers your risk of coronary heart disease. Obviously increases your risk of liver damage but on balance all other things being equal those that drink a little probably live longer than those that don't drink at all.

As a wise old fool once said to me, if you don't drink and don't smoke, you don't live longer, it just seems longer. (I don't smoke BTW, gives me a sore throat :cry:)

Sponsored Links
Many the man, lying under the wheels of a bus ... Must have had final thoughts 'If only I had thrown caution to the wind just a little more ... I may have enjoyed living 'til I die' ....... Guess we'll never know. ... Until !

Wonder which we would rather be ... deep inside, where maybe we do not like to look ..... A seat polisher, or a test-pilot ? .... A statistician playing the odds or a 'mover and shaker' blazing his own trail, risk taking with great aplomb ?

Um, "I say ! Move the bus forward a yard or so drive, if you would be so kind !"

P

My ambition was to be a fighter pilot, then hopefully progress to become one of the first astronauts on an ESA launch. Luckily I never took it too far as I'm now too tall to fly a fast jet. :LOL:

Could be worse, a guy I work with spent 4 years in his university air corp, then it turned out he couldn't reach all the controls in a Tornado because his arms are too short.

Memo to self

Must measure arm-span before joining uni....

Actually, I'm OK, it's 6' 5 1/2 "!

I always wanted to be a pilot but got told very early it wasn't going to happen as I wear glasses. Apperently 20:20 vision (unaided) is mandatory. Still, maybe joining the forces wouldn't have been too happy for me anyway as I "bat for the other side". Although the regs have changed, apparently attitudes haven't....

I believe they are considering letting in people who have had laser surgery... Colour blindness is the real b*tch, in the UK you can only get the most basic of pilot's licences if you have any colour deficiency (a thorn in the side of a flying-mad colleague of mine, who isn't allowed to fly outside the UK on his licence).

I dunno if riding the pink bus to the barracks would be much of a problem, homosexuality isn't a post-1945 invention. Obviously it might get the wrong attention if you minced in with your cap at a jaunty angle and proclaimed "I'm free! Hellooooooo sailor!" ;)

I read that the post-war fire service had large numbers of gentlemen's gentlemen (not in the PG Wodehouse sense :D ), mainly from the navy because they were able to climb ladders and rigging all day and therefore good for the job. Yes, even WW2 ships had rigging.

ninebob said:
I always wanted to be a pilot but got told very early it wasn't going to happen as I wear glasses. Apperently 20:20 vision (unaided) is mandatory.

You don't have to have unaided "20:20" vision anymore (it's now called 6:6) contact lenses are ok. Applied for RAF at 17 accepted eyes went at 18 (had to be "20:20" then :( ) Re orientation, yep, I think you're probably right still a long way to go in the armed forces.

Can you be a fast jet pilot and wear contacts though? I would think that pulling 9g+ could make the lenses slide about all over the eyeball, or wrinkle the lense.

The transport pilots do a tremendous job; wars would last a lot longer and be a lot more bloody without them. However very few people say "when I grow up, I want to fly Hercs!". They want to fly fighters.

You ever tried pulling an obstinate contact out, requires more than 9g!!

Sponsored Links
Back