Isn't it time to ban dangerous dogs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-22678397

What I suggest is a licencing scheme where accredited vets have to decide if the dog is a dangerous TYPE of dog ie - if it looks like a pit bull then it is a pitbull. Such a dog would need to be castrated (if a male) and muzzled at all times. Failure to do so would mean no licence and massive penalties if it attacked anyone (mandatory jail for the owner).

This would make such dogs unpopular and the breeds would disappear from the streets.

Sponsored Links
The thick moron chavs that live on council estates and own these 'weapons' are unlikely to obey bureaucratic nonsense or protocol.

From the BBC...'The breed of dog has not been confirmed but nearby residents said it looked like a Staffordshire Bull Terrier'...

From Sky news...'One resident, Susan Carson, told Sky News it was a "big dog" but she was unsure of the breed'...

So which one is it - a staffie or a big dog? With all the press staffies get its easy to assume this is just another but at the end of the day we're just guessing, it could just as easily be a great dane (big dog)!

Whether vets should be left to decide if a dog is dangerous i don't know but my brother in law is a sergent in a neighbouring constabulary and he says when dogs are taken away they sometimes bring them into the police headquarters offices/canteens and such like and let them mingle with people to determine they're general behaviour and/or aggresiveness if any, seems a good way to assess the dog away from its owners and familiar surroundings which may make them aggresive

Sponsored Links
This would need them to take it to the vets in the first place.......

That's scuppered that plan then.

All dogs are dangerous given the right (wrong?) circumstances...

There is no such thing as a harmless dog!

I can agree with that to a degree, owners play a large part in determining how a dog grows up and behaves but some dogs have just evolved nastier than others.

At one point last year when out walking my GSD - on a lead i might add because i am a responsible owner although she could just as well walk off it and stays on my left i had 2 middle aged women approach and tear into me as to WHY i have a german shepherd as a pet 'these dogs kill', 'they aren't meant for pet', 'don't you realise this is why the police use them'.....i'm normally quick with a comeback but i was stunned, just couldn't think of anything to say.....until i got home and told the mrs lol!

Hope i see them again :D , hopefully i'll have the other GS adult AND our recent addition GS pup with me next time, in the next few weeks the pup is in training just like the other 2 were. Maybe owners of perceived dangerous dog should be forced to get them assessed and trained, do i think shepherds are dangerous? - I would say yes they could be IF bought up to be, like in a chav house with cannabis growing in the loft and a saxo parked on the front but generally on the whole no i don't think they are

I can agree with that to a degree, owners play a large part in determining how a dog grows up and behaves but some dogs have just evolved nastier than others.

At one point last year when out walking my GSD - on a lead i might add because i am a responsible owner although she could just as well walk off it and stays on my left i had 2 middle aged women approach and tear into me as to WHY i have a german shepherd as a pet 'these dogs kill', 'they aren't meant for pet', 'don't you realise this is why the police use them'.....i'm normally quick with a comeback but i was stunned, just couldn't think of anything to say.....until i got home and told the mrs lol!

Hope i see them again :D , hopefully i'll have the other GS adult AND our recent addition GS pup with me next time, in the next few weeks the pup is in training just like the other 2 were. Maybe owners of perceived dangerous dog should be forced to get them assessed and trained, do i think shepherds are dangerous? - I would say yes they could be IF bought up to be, like in a chav house with cannabis growing in the loft and a saxo parked on the front but generally on the whole no i don't think they are

Well I have to agree, GSD's can be very dangerous and it was not helped by the moronic idiots that saw them as a status symbol, fortunately they seem to be remission now, but the stigma still remains with some people who think they were developed with one thing in mind, an aggressive killing machine when in actual fact their true name is "Deutsche Schaeferhund" which translated word for word is German Sheep Dog" designed to keep wolves at bay, the shepard would have at least two dogs to guard his flock, we've had at least one GSD in our house since 82 they are one of the most loving, loyal, intelligent of mans best friend ever invented.

I used to take mine with me in the truck in the mid 80's and remember a delivery to a hospital for children with something akin to downs syndrome near Southampton, while offloading the nurse on the ward drew the attention of the children to my dog sat in the drivers seat watching my every move, she then asked if she were friendly could i bring her in which I did, it is a picture I shall take to my grave, the children all happy and cheerful with my Sarah going from one to the other with her tale practically knocking them over, I stayed there about 15 minuets which made me late for my next delivery but it was worth it, every second, a couple more nurses came in and everyone was smiling from ear to ear. Priceless.

At least a topic like this takes the heat off us cat owners for a while. Suddenly we're not pet-owning, public enemy numero uno any more. :LOL: :LOL:

A lot of people getting bitten is because they are foolish.

Worked at a property a few weeks ago and as the 10 stone muscle bound terrier approached it was telling me to keep my distance. So I did.

Later in the day I learnt that a cop the previous year was doing some enquiries at the premises and reached out to stroke it and the dog grabbed his arm.
The cop swung his fist but the dog let go and savaged the fist. :LOL:

He rang the owner from hospital to explain what had happened. :LOL:
The fool then had the audacity to try and have the dog put down. :rolleyes:
Turns out the dog is just a big softie. Every tea break it was over tail wagging begging for food.

You had the common sense to know what to do Norcon, but others particularly youngsters might be scared to death, and run away, only for the dog to chase after what it sees as prey.

You had the common sense to know what to do Norcon, but others particularly youngsters might be scared to death, and run away, only for the dog to chase after what it sees as prey.

Have a cousin who does dog warden duties as part of his job.
When he encounters dangerous dogs that are out of control he lays down on the ground flat and the dogs just come over to him and lick his face.

No need for any stoopid cops running in with guns blazing as is their usual approach.
There's a guy on u tube who can do similar with wild lions.
It's only human animals who kick you when you're down!

I walked home 8 mile one night drunk and fell into a holding pen of rotweilers. Not one of them came near me.
How do you explain that?

All credit to your cousin Norcon, he still has balls to do that!

Sponsored Links
Back