Isolating a leaking WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My toilet is leaking clean water from where the main pipe feeds into the bottom of the cistern.

The pipe runs behind the toilet itself and although there is a ball value it is not possible to turn it off.

I have turned the main water stop cock in the utility room off which then stops all the taps, shower etc in the bathroom but the cistern still seems to fill up...

Am i missing something here...how can i make the repair (i will need to replace the braided flexible pipe from the copper pipe into the cistern) if I cannot turn the water off!!!

Any help or advice would be appreciated before i call a pro in

Thanks

Mak

Sponsored Links
I can't see it from here.

If you have found a stop cock but water still "seems" to flow into the cistern then either:

1) the stop cock is not really turned off
or
2) the water is coming from somewhere else.
or
3) it is not really flowing into the cistern

I am going to guess that you have a water tank in the loft, and some of the water is supplied from there, and some is supplied direct from the water main.

Please find out
1) is that true
2) Which of them have you turned off so far.

I wonder why the service valve won't turn off? What happens when you try?

Hi JohnD

Thanks the reply...

When I turn the stop cock all the taps & shower shop in the bathroom stop...so i think it is definately off.

There is no tank in the loft.

I am guessing then that the pipe to the toilet is fed from somewhere else...but I have no idea where! Is it liekly to be fed directly from the mains??

The service valve at the back is really awkward to reach and the 'head' of the screw is all worn down so it is stuck open :(

Think I might have to get a pro in unless you have any other ideas

Thanks

Mak

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back