Isolator valves needed - but which to choose ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Combi system does not have any isolator valves between the boiler and the rads (doh!). Fine until you have a boiler problem so - (once bitten as they say), whilst I have the system down I will take the opportunity to fit valves on both flow and return. Does anyone have any reccomendations as to which type of valve will be the best / most appropriate ??

The system has a Spirovent fitted (dirt and air trap) but I'm considering fitting a Magna unit at the same time - would this be wothwhile ??

All help and advice appreciated.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Think you need to check again as most combis have isolating valves under the unit. Anyway if not,suggest if theres room to fit lever type valves,and yes.. a Magnaclean is a useful unit to fit,just make sure its cleaned out each year with boiler service.

Doh - again !!

You're right :D Just had a quick look and sure enough there are isolator valves with the unit so should be OK.

Many thanks :p

Steve

What boiler is it?

Several are best to never use the isolating valves after a couple of years, as once moved they will drip or leak, then need replacing.

Sadly most are over priced too :cry:

Sponsored Links
If you already have a Spirovent, I doubt you need a Magnaclean as well.

Do you have signs of excessive dirt and sediment?

You could spend some of your money on X400 and X100 and keep the remaining £70 for beer.

Thanks to all who have replied - given the information kindly provided I think I'll stick with what I've got and see how it goes.

I'll let you know if I have any problems :rolleyes:

Steve

Providing the flow and return pipework enter the boiler from below there is no need to isolate the boiler for maintainance.

The boiler can be fully stripped down with the heating system still full of water.

Hi Guys,

All done :D

Close valves under boiler and drained via the filling loop controls - turned out to be easy peasy.

Thanks for all the advice.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back