Issues with microbore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I am about to renew my ensuite bathroom and although I have never tackled such a big plumbing job in one go I have done the odd bit of pipe laying and soldering over the years.

I mention this because I am fairly confident about giving it a go except for the fact that my central heating system has microbore pipe. I have never worked with it and so a little unsure what to expect.

I wish to replace the existing bathroom radiator with a towel rail.

My questions are as follows;

How do I attach the valves to the incoming pipe? can you buy valves suitable for 8mm pipe or do you have to buy reducer fittings from the standard 15mm in ports. Secondly the system is twenty years old and I am reluctant to bend the existing pipe too much, will it be brittle after this time and therefore not safe to manipulate. Thirdly is there anyway in which the pipe can be extended by jointing and if so would this be advisable (I assume new pipe will be more flexible??)

Sorry if this is so obvious, I just don't want to be caught out with a snapped pipe and no central heating.

By the way, the pipe is buried within the plaster, there is about 18" of pipe for each valve sticking out of the wall.

Any assistance in boosting my confidence on this one would be much appreciated.

Thanks David

Sponsored Links
Afternoon all,

I am about to renew my ensuite bathroom and although I have never tackled such a big plumbing job in one go I have done the odd bit of pipe laying and soldering over the years.

I mention this because I am fairly confident about giving it a go except for the fact that my central heating system has microbore pipe. I have never worked with it and so a little unsure what to expect.

I wish to replace the existing bathroom radiator with a towel rail.

My questions are as follows;

How do I attach the valves to the incoming pipe? can you buy valves suitable for 8mm pipe or do you have to buy reducer fittings from the standard 15mm in ports. Secondly the system is twenty years old and I am reluctant to bend the existing pipe too much, will it be brittle after this time and therefore not safe to manipulate. Thirdly is there anyway in which the pipe can be extended by jointing and if so would this be advisable (I assume new pipe will be more flexible??)

Sorry if this is so obvious, I just don't want to be caught out with a snapped pipe and no central heating.

By the way, the pipe is buried within the plaster, there is about 18" of pipe for each valve sticking out of the wall.

Any assistance in boosting my confidence on this one would be much appreciated.Thanks David

i think you have a lovely personality, does that help boost your confidence :LOL:

You say you had experience with copper pipes, so you should be fine.

You might want to increase from your microbore to 15mm, with a couple of yorkshire reducers/straights. Then you can get two standard 15mm valves for the new towel rail.

I would mount the towel rail, then fit valves and look at best route for the 15mm chrome or copper to take.

As long as the system is free of water, then solder will take ok, use wire wool to clean up before flux, practice on a spare fitting, and watch for the solder starting to run.

hope that helps
Alan

Personality aside :p you can get stuff for 8mm microbore just the same as you can for 15mm (Screwfix etc) and its treated in exactly the same way - although naturally enough microbore pipe is easier to kink.
Why not buy a small coil and have some practice?
Screwfix do rad valves, end fed, solder ring and compression fittings for all sizes of pipe - including reducers if you'd prefer to go down that route.
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back