It Kettles, but what is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, first time posting so please be gentle :)

Ideal classic heat only vented system that started kettling during hot water heating most times and every now and then on radiator heating.

I have:

Fitted an auto vent, thinking it was air as the little screw vent always seemed to have air in it
Replaced a thermocouple on the boiler on some advice (Kind of was kettling at the boiler)
Drained, add cleaner, run for four weeks, drained and added treatment
Drained, isolated each rad, taken off, washed through, re-commissioned system
Installed a magnaclean. It's clean (although I don't think its in the best place)
Replaced the 3port valve as it failed.
I have not replaced the cylinder or the pump

The system is 21years old and as soon as we can start the kitchen extension, I am going to replace the boiler(++) The boiler and the other kitchen appliances must have known we were drawing up plans as in the last month, the washing machine went bang and flooded the floor, the fridge died and defrosted the lot and the boiler started to squeak. Dam even the toaster died! The squeak is the duct fan bearing,, little WD40 and I hope they don't seize up for now.

I am posting today due to the fact that I want to replace the boiler, but of course, do not want to still have the kettling (if it's not the boiler)

I will change the pump out and am debating on switching to a sealed system, but anyhow I am convinced the kettling or at least this is where it kettles from, but I can not find a replacement or for that matter the good name for this (picture below) unit to enable me to google it.

Could it be this that is causing the problem? Why can I not find one to order one?

If you were in my shoes, would you replace the pump and boiler post a power flush or would you consider a different path. For ref, four-bed detached. One bath, onsuite. 10 rads (11 when we do extension)

Thank you all.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
so it may have a crust of limescale inside. like an old kettle. lime combines with magnetite to form a very hard material.

X200 may help. Yours sounds bad, so maybe two bottles.

You do not drain it out.

Screenshot 2021-03-14 at 16.44.34.png

It's an air separator ,and may be choked up with magnetite.

Thanks Terry, that makes sense, What I don't have then is the head top-up feed, only the vent. Would you say that is an incorrect or poor design choice?

Would make sense is the kettling is concentrated here then.

Looking at this pic of what looks to be the same (why did the prior owner paint everything silver), would make out for my pump to be connected to the vent and the cold feed used as output with output capped off.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-14 at 16.56.11.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-14 at 16.56.11.png
    927 KB · Views: 40
Now I know its called an Aerjec, Google has provided me with hours of rabbit holes.. seems the consensus is they trap more sludge than air, bin it!

Thank you all. most helpfull

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back