It's nice to know "we are all in it together"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh intend to travel as widely as possible across the UK to mark 2012's Diamond Jubilee, Buckingham Palace has said.

The Diamond Jubilee will mark 60 years of the Queen's reign.

Other members of the Royal Family will visit the 15 other countries where the Queen is head of state, as well as some other Commonwealth countries.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit Malaysia, Singapore, the Solomon Islands and Tuvalu. ....

The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will visit Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.

And Prince Harry will tour Belize, Jamaica and the Bahamas....

The Duke of York will travel to India and the Princess Royal is set to visit Mozambique and Zambia.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex will tour a number of Caribbean islands with an extra visit to Gibraltar.

Other travelling royals include the Duke of Gloucester and the Duke of Kent.

The former will head to the British Virgin Islands and Malta. And the latter is set to go to the Falkland Islands and Uganda....

Nothing more than a familiy of freeloaders/benefit cheats.... :evil:

Maybe Al Qaeda should be given advanced notice of their detailed 'travel plans'... ;)

Sponsored Links
Are you attempting to incite terrorism?

Wotan
Not at all...

But as Clarkson is allowed to suggest that rioters should be executed, any individual is therefore apparently allowed to make their own choices if they are given the available information....or don't you think that's right in a democratic society?.... ;)

Why the problem with freedom of speech wotan, if you don't mind me asking?....

without an implied threat from you of course... ;)

Sponsored Links
Nothing more than a familiy of freeloaders/benefit cheats....

Maybe Al Qaeda should be given advanced notice of their detailed 'travel plans'...

The Royal Family costs the taxpayer approx £40m per year, but the revenue the UK receives from the Royal Family is approx £200m per year- a £160m profit.

Because of the Royal Family, for every person in the UK, we pay about £3 less tax, get rid of the Royals and we pay more tax.

I dont see a problem in having a sovereign, brings a lot to the country.

The Royal Family costs the taxpayer approx £40m per year, but the revenue the UK receives from the Royal Family is approx £200m per year- a £160m profit.

Because of the Royal Family, for every person in the UK, we pay about £3 less tax, get rid of the Royals and we pay more tax.

It's always amusing to see people try and justify their existence based on the civil list vs tourist income argument...

What about the value of the assets that they purloined from us, and continue to derive an income far outweighing that apparent benefit...

Oh, and given that the cost of two extra bank holidays (this year and next) will actually cost my other half's firm £40k each year (equivalent to 2 full year wages), who actually benefits? ... multiply that across the country, and you'll see an actual drain on resources - but then what's new with that lot!

And then of course we are supposed to bow and scrape yet again because a person (who no doubt benefits from medical procedures mere mortals are denied) reaches a ripe old age?

Let them help pay off our apparent debt!

the revenue the UK receives from the Royal Family is approx £200m per year- a £160m profit.

From, you say? Do you mean in taxes that they pay, or in donations?

Windsor Castle used to be the Queens private home. Until it burned down, when all the UK taxpayers were told it was their responsibility to pay for the restoration.

Did you remember to include that in your cost figure?

It's always amusing to see people try and justify their existence based on the civil list vs tourist income argument

Its not amusing, its just fact. If the Royal family ceased to exist, the country would be worse off financially, its not not an opinion, its fact. What is amusing, is the anti Royals dont understand the contributions the Royal family make.....and to make it clear, i'm not a Royalist, I can take them or leave them. But I wont argue against facts

They pay £200m per year revenue on land that they own, it is also a voluntary payment, they dont have to pay it. If the government stopped paying the expenses to the Royal family, they would just take profits from their land.....which would make us tax payers end up paying more taxes.

Windsor Castle used to be the Queens private home. Until it burned down, when all the UK taxpayers were told it was their responsibility to pay for the restoration.

Did you remember to include that in your cost figure?

Windsor Castle has never been owned by the Queen, it has always been owned by the British Government. The Queen put 70% of the cost of refurbing it after the fire.

They pay £200m per year revenue on land that they own, it is also a voluntary payment, they dont have to pay it. If the government stopped paying the expenses to the Royal family, they would just take profits from their land.....which would make us tax payers end up paying more taxes.
I didn't find that very clear. You mean they make a £200m donation instead of paying tax? And you are suggesting that if we didn't have a Royal Family, somebody else would also not be paying tax on what is now Royal estates? That doesn't make sense. If we didn't have a Royal Family, we wouldn't be giving anyone Royal Exemption from paying taxes.

BTW have you ever visited the French palace at Versailles? I have, and lots of other foreign tourists have. We've able to visit much more than we could if it was still occupied by people who, through an accident of birth, claimed it as their personal property and didn't pay any tax.

Nothing more than a familiy of freeloaders/benefit cheats....

Maybe Al Qaeda should be given advanced notice of their detailed 'travel plans'...

Who says?...I don't believe a word of it.Tourists come to see The Tower, a West End Show or Stratford...Not on the off chance that Liz is waving out of a Buck House window.
Plenty of tourists go to France without the aid of a bunch of scroungers.

It's always amusing to see people try and justify their existence based on the civil list vs tourist income argument...
I think Britain would still have tourism, history, culture and receives revenue even without the Royal Family. Here's some of the wasted taxpayer money............

Last night the Prince Andrew came under fire for his ‘extravagant’ use of taxpayers’ money. Accounts from Buckingham Palace show that the Royal Family spent £2.2million on the use of helicopters last year.

Only last week this newspaper revealed how Andrew spent an estimated £60,000 of public money to charter a private jet for a four-day trip to Azerbaijan.

Liberal Democrat MP Norman Baker said: ‘If MPs used their travel expenses this way the public would demand their resignation.

Why the problem with freedom of speech wotan, if you don't mind me asking?....

without an implied threat from you of course... ;)
It's just that I feel the royal family is an asset to this country, all the members mentioned are ambassadors, and do contribute to our nation, to describe them as freeloaders / benefit cheats is incorrect.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Back