Ivy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mature oak tree (about 50 feet high) which has ivy growing up it (for about 10 years).

The tree seems healthy but I want to know if the ivy will do any damage and if so what is the best way to remove it?

Sponsored Links
My next door neighbour have the same problem and was told that the Ivy could smother the tree and kill it if it get to all the branches and can cause stability problems in old trees but the birds and insects love them! If you do want to remove them I think the only way is to cut the stem at the bottom and let it die on it own. Others may know better on here.

You should keep the ivy trimmed, intrinsically no, it won't hurt the tree, but left uncecked it could smother it,

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, Ivy is like most shrubs, the more you trim it, the more it grows, you have to keep at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back