Jamming Front Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a query. Had a new front door fitted in October into an existing frame. Varnished it all up okay, didn't stick at the time (mostly as it was dry), but this last week it's been a real problem getting door open and shut. I've tried planing some of the frame and door to alleviate this, but still no joy.

Is there any advice on which parts of the door are most likely to stick. At the mo I think the doors bending a little bit at the bottom on the hingeside of the door. Just wish it would stop raining so I can work on it properly.. don't want to have to take too much off the door.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Ian
Southampton

Sponsored Links
push the door up to the frame then draw a pencil line down the door,you will have to plane it down to this to get the door to shut,you dont say if it is a hardwood door or softwood but they all swell in this weather...

It's a hardwood door, we sealed it with Ronseal varnish a couple of months ago (three coats worth). I did notice though that the wife didn't do the underneath or the top, so guess where most of the swelling came from. Hopefully over the next few days if it stays dry, the door will contract then I'll seal up the top and bottom.

Frame though looking at it is saturated. With my floodlights, spotted some cracks in the brickwork behind the frame, that's let some damp in.

Did some remedial work and the door now opens and closes more easily, but haven't taken too much off cos of the drier weather. I knew the carpenter said allow for some expansion, but hell, when I got home, I had to take a running shoulder barge to the door to start moving it!!

Does anyone have any experience of the Ronseal varnish (quick drying stuff) and if it'll be enough? I'm used to using some Scandinavian yachting varnish (can't remmber the name).

Regards to all

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back