Jerky playback on DVD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just changed the DVD/CD drive in Acer Aspire 3023 Laptop.
Have put in a Sony drive but when I try and play DVD it is jerky.
Why would this be ?

Sponsored Links
Have solved the problem. Uninstalled the Secondary IDE Channel from the IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers in the Device Manager. Then re-booted. Windows re-installed the necessary drivers and voila.
The driver advanced setting was set to 'PIO Only' instead of 'DMA if available'.

Sponsored Links
If I was going to buy a new laptop then we wouldn't all (for example) be needing a site like this would we (smart alec) ! :p

Have solved the problem. Uninstalled the Secondary IDE Channel from the IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers in the Device Manager. Then re-booted. Windows re-installed the necessary drivers and voila.
The driver advanced setting was set to 'PIO Only' instead of 'DMA if available'.
what chipset is it? manuf's drivers are much better than generic ms ones.
youcould have changed the setting manually, tho god knows why it sometimes defaults to PIO, I didnt give that a thought tbh.

eggplant said:
god knows why it sometimes defaults to PIO, I didnt give that a thought tbh.

If memory serves, Windows can sometimes do an automated 'fallback' to PIO mode if it has had problems reading a CD/DVD (e.g. scratched/dirty). There maybe some obscure article you can find on the MS website that discusses this.

Back